Cakes are so expensive!!

*J9*, 29 of July of 2013 at 16:12 Posted on Planning 0 36

36 replies

Latest activity by Shirelley, 30 of July of 2013 at 16:12
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I think that's about the right price. The only way you could get it cheaper is if you got a m&s or waitrose cake but I think it'd all be the same cake then with all layers the same.

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I am looking at M and S cakes as they are much much cheaper. You can have a combination of tiers like this https://www.marksandspencer.com/cart. Could get some purpler ribbon and fresh flowers to decorate?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I agree that's around the right price for that. No quote we had was less than £350. My mam ended up making our cake in the end though.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'd say that's about right, we've been quoted £295 for a 3 tier loveheart shape cake, think everywhere is roughly the same price x

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I wsa also going to recommend Marks and Spencer - OHs sisters had cakes from here and they were gorgeous! there from around £130 for 3 tiers

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is just under £300 and that is with discount as OH mother works there! I agree tho I couldn't believe the price! xx

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Damn! ☹️

I looked at the M&S cakes and they're lovely but the assorted versions have fruit as the bottom layer only and I don't want that much fruit (yuk).

My friend does lovely cakes but as she's not a professional baker, she doesn't use the same support in the cakes so she wouldn't be able to make one that supports a fruit top layer either.

Looks like we'll have to save a few more pennies!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can just have sponge - slightly more expensive though most of them can be either

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    MrsLKing2B ·
    • Hide content

Mine seem's really cheap now, 3 sponge layers (Chocolate, raspberry and white chocolate and victoria sponge) with icing roses and gerberas for 210. And she's going to the venue to set it up on the morning of the wedding.Her cake tasted lush too!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to go for an m&s cake as I've heard good things. Plus any cake is good by me!!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I have also been doing a bit of googling!

Apparently Tesco and Asda do them too, found from another forum /coffeehouse/life-504/weddings-503/209382-supermarket-wedding-cakes.html

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

My mam used this recipe that has a fruit top layer. She's not a pro baker my any means.

/recipes/creating-your-wedding-cake

It's not the easiest site to navigate so have included the link for each layer here:

Top: /recipes/wedding-cake-light-fruit-cake

Middle: /recipes/wedding-cake-zingy-lemon

Bottom: /recipes/wedding-cake-rich-dark-chocolate-cake

It was delicious and as she's not pro baker she did rustic buttercream icing - much simpler and nicer IMO!

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

What area do you live in?

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I think that's about the right price too, cakes can be pricey. We've got quite a plain 3 tier and its 500 which is expensive but they taste so good!

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

My sister's best friend runs a cupcake company and i'm asking her to branch out and do our wedding cake for us. She was chuffed that i asked.

We're going to avoid fruit cake all together - I agree, yuck!

I think some of the M&S cakes look lovely. We would just go with either a plain or flavoured sponge avoiding fruit all together.

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I hate fruit cake too but my mum (backed up by inlaws) nearly fainted when I said we weren't having one, it actually caused the biggest argument of all the wedding planning over a bit of cake so we bowed down and are now having a tier of fruit cake!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Is fruit cake just the same thing as Christmas cake?
    If so I absolutely love it Smiley laugh
    Still not made my mind up on wether to have fruit or sponge, and hadn't thought of having one different..might do that as I know fruit cake doesn't please everyone. I'm just so greedy and love all cake Smiley smile

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

What the others have said, pretty much. Cakes can seem expensive, but there's a LOT of hard work that goes in, cost of ingredients etc.

Having said that, M&S cakes are lovely and I've heard nothing but good things about them from people who had a wedding cake from there. So yes, that might be worth a try Smiley smile

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

The price sounds about right...amazing cake btw!!! I'm getting a good old m&s cake but just a little one just to do the ceremonious cut and a friend of mine has offered to make fondant flowers to decorate it...I can make cakes and have done for lots of different occasions but I don't want the added stress of cake making in the week leading up to our wedding. I am however making cupcake favours (as cupcakes is what I'm "famous" for in my family) but I can whip these up the day before so all the guests gets cake.

I really like cake...

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Sainsburys also do plain iced cakes, I saw them the other day

My MIL made our cake and it was fab.

I know it seems a lot but think about the cost of the ingredients, they would soon mount up and then the time that goes into them too.

Have you thought about having an M&S one then just getting a couple more plain sponge ones? We had a three tier cake that was fruit then sponge then fruit but then my MIL made two more sponge cakes and marzipanned and iced them and we cut those up too. No one knew (or cared) that they weren't eating the actual wedding cake

• T
    Beginner August 2013
    Tweetypie1234 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

dont know where you are based but we have got the same one layer fruit two layer sponge, decorated in great detail with sugar paste flowers for £250. Called Sugar on Top in Otley, Yorkshire. Should definitely be able to get it cheaper.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Could you have a 2 tier M & S sponge and a cutting cake made of fruit?

• C
    Beginner April 2015
    Cupcakebex ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for M&S cupcakes and then either one of their fruit cake cutting bars or a plain white iced round fruit cake that they do. Works out so cheap and I adore cupcakes so a wok win Smiley smile

X

• C
    Beginner April 2015
    Cupcakebex ·
    • Hide content

*win win lol

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in Reading.

I think m&s may be thebest idea if we just get sponge then a separate fruit cake to please certain people in my family.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brilliant! We have chosen carrot and chocolate.... Not told anyone in the family - there's lots of untraditional things at our wedding but we're just not gonns mention it... then on the day we can have it our way and hope no-ones rude enough to care or comment! Smiley laugh

And our two tier 8 & 10 inch teeny cake for up to 100 is £320. no frills on the design. keep convincing myself that £3.20 a slice isnt actually a rip off considering we are talking weddings! lol x

• Samiad
    Beginner April 2014
    Samiad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I make cakes on the side and just wanted to say, I know it does sound like a lot of money for a cake, but I think £310 is very reasonable for the cake you have pictured.

I made a wedding cake for a friend this weekend, and spent over £150 on ingredients and various paraphenalia for decorating it and setting it up. I've spent the evenings for the last 2-3 weeks making sugar roses, and took Friday off work and worked on it on Saturday too. On Sunday I set the cake up at the venue which was an hour's drive away. I charged £225 as it was for a friend, but although this covers the cost of ingredients etc, it doesn't go very far to covering the amount of time spent on it. (Sorry if this comes across as a rant, just trying to explain the cost v. the time involved.)

I think it comes down to what is important to you - if you want a bespoke cake like the one pictured (which is lovely btw), you usually have to pay a bit more for it. If you're not too particular about the cake, go for an M&S cake and personalise it yourself with ribbon, etc. Smiley smile

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

A work colleague has recommended waitrose cakes over m&s, might be worth a look. Can't say I've tried either to be honest.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know- I think that seems a *bit* high, but not much- still reckon you'd be looking around the £250+ mark.

I only say this because the decoration looks really simple. Our cake costs £450 but that's because we're having a lot of sugarwork and hand-made decorations done on it, airbrushing, all sorts.

Some cake places charge up to £50 for delivery (we were lucky because our cake maker is literally a walk across the road from our venue!) perhaps you can negotiate on that if you collect it yourself?

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I was hoping for around the £250 mark really. Both quotes I had are for free delivery as they're both very close to the venue.

How easy are they to transport? My friend that makes cakes lives up in Halifax and I'm down in Reading so it's quite a distance for a cake to travel...

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Damn! ☹️

I looked at the M&S cakes and they're lovely but the assorted versions have fruit as the bottom layer only and I don't want that much fruit (yuk).

My friend does lovely cakes but as she's not a professional baker, she doesn't use the same support in the cakes so she wouldn't be able to make one that supports a fruit top layer either.

Looks like we'll have to save a few more pennies!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Nothing comes up. The one I looked at said the fruit was the bottom layer and I didn't see a way of changing it. But maybe that's cos I didn't have it in my basket. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics