Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VikingPrincess
Beginner December 2011

Calling all florists out there - Lily of the valley?

VikingPrincess, 1 June, 2010 at 22:26 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi there!

Hope someone can answer a question for me.

Although I am getting married in December I really wanted a bouquet made entirely of Lily of the valley and buttonholes to match (see below for an idea). But my CBM, who got married last year in March said she wanted that too for hers but it was that expensive she couldn't afford it so she had white lilac instead. She looked at me as if I came from Mars when I said it (bearing in mind her budget was quite a bit higher than mine). So I figured "it must be expensive if she couldn't afford it". She said "it's a fortune!" and so does everyone I talk to. OK now, could someone just tell me how much is "a lot"??? What are we talking here? £125 for bride's bouquet as opposed to some quotes I've seen ("starting at £69"), £300, £1000??? LOL How much is a fortune?? I know it's December but surely there's some Dutch supplier who can get them in? My grandma had yards and yards of them in garden in Romania and they were not that expensive over there!

Thanks!

22 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 3 June, 2010 at 14:17
  • bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

One of the reasons lily-of-the-valley is so expensive is because the season is so short; technically it is only widely available in May. It is usually available in small quantities through the Dutch auctions for most of the year, but you do pay a premium for it. I used some for a wedding last December, and the 30 stems I bought would have retailed at something around the £90 mark if I remember rightly....for a bouquet of all lily-of-the-valley you're talking about something like 100 stems, so at a rough guess something like £300 worth of flowers before you even turn them into a bouquet.

Bear in mind that the flower auctions are reverse auctions too - so the prices start high and come down as flowers don't sell. That's fine if you only need a small quantity of something and can hold out until the price comes down, but if your florist needs to guarantee a large proportion of the day's stock of something, their buyer will need to start buying at the higher price.

Sorry to sound like such a killjoy! If I'm honest, I would feel really uncomfortable if a customer asked for all lily-of-the-valley at any time when it was out of season, as I really couldn't begin guarantee a price or availability ☹️

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Is there an artificial variety you could have ? Might save you a few quid!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, both! Well, I guess I asked so i got an answer. I guess I'll have to revert to my original ideas of a wintery bouquet of white roses (my H2B's favourite flowers) and ivy / fir and cones... Something like this:

this with white roses

And unfortunately, no, I didn't want artificial because it was the smell I was after and with my first wedding I regretted having an artificial posy, now i would like fresh...

Thanks again!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Can only echo really what Georgie says... another reason that lily of the valley bouquets are expensive is that sometimes they need special support wiring which involves very fine florist wire winding around every single bell on the stem to support it otherwise they flop within hours. This is a painstaking job and involves hours of tedious work and, as with most things which are bespoke made, time is money and this is what bumps the cost up on top of the cost of the flowers. I too have a garden overflowing with lily of the valley with a magnificent perfume every time we open the kitchen door but it's all gone now and looking pretty sad. It had a very short season this time and wasn't as good as in previous years with the full blooms only lasting a couple of weeks at the most. It's my favourite flower and also my favourite perfume too. I had lily of the valley in my wedding bouquet but it was artificial because we couldn't have justified the cost of real and my florist mixed it in with the fresh flowers and no-one could tell the difference. It is a beautiful flower with a fabulous fragrance but very unpredictable in terms of availability and a nightmare for florists to work with - sorry Smiley sad

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

If you're really keen to have it, and are happy to pay a premium for it, there is no reason why you shouldn't ask your florist to put a small amount through your bouquet though; it works really well mixed with large headed and spray roses, and gives a lovely soft look. This is the bouquet we used it for last December. It's very delicate, but you do get the scent.

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

One of my friends got married in august and wanted lily of the vally in her bouquet, but ended up not having them due to the cost. I like the white roses and pine cones, though very wintery.

BTW any news on your Dad......

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Wanted to day I like the idea of adding just a few. Took me 10 mins to log in just to say that lol

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I think the first one is absolutely gorgeous. I hope you find something you're happy with ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had the same trouble yesterday Carol - the site was upgraded yesterday apparently so it all went belly up for a while but OK now!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping to have some put through my bouquet as well as the corsages for the mums. We're getting married in May so hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Hope you manage to get something sorted. I love the wintry bouquets you've flashed!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I've just put artificial lily of the Valley in a bouquet for a Bride as it was her Grandads favourite flower.

If you wanted a highly scented bouquet you could use Freesia and use artificial Lily of the Valley.

• G
    Beginner May 2009
    GingerOnTheTown ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I had the same issue when I got married last year. LOVE full lily of the valley bouquets but it would have cost plenty.

In the end, I had some lily of the valley in my bouquet with freesias and sweet peas (early May wedding) and it smelt divine and it was nice to have a mix too Smiley smile Cost around £85 I think in total.

x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

That's what I'm intending to have in mine, MrsCroft2b (Assuming just Mrs Croft now!). We're getting married on May 7th!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

A few ideas for using it in a bouquet:

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Sherrie, you're always so very helpful.

A large ? to you!

• G
    Beginner May 2009
    GingerOnTheTown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am Smiley smile But I can't work out how to change the bloomin username !

Your bouquet will smell FANTASTIC. As we were saying our vows, mine got passed around for everyone to have a sniff! I put it in a vase in our room at the hotel and it just smelt beautiful. Was very pretty too - you have excellent taste ?

• H
    Beginner December 2010
    Han85 ·
    • Hide content

Hey Viking Princess - i had the same problem i loooved the simple style of the lily of the valley but as soon as i spoke to the florist i realised i wouldnt be able to. Im not a very flowery person so was struggling to pick anything else as just didnt seem very me. But my florist has found a gorgeous flower which is very very similar but it is purple so i am having that with some white anenome flowers.

I love the boquets you posted very wintry i love them. Im also getting married in December. Hope you find something you like x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Great minds, eh?! ?

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Sherrie, the first looks more like what I could have...

And thanks everyone for your replies! very helpful as usual! :0)

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I was looking for something wintry as the theme of our wedding is Winter Wonderland but without any hint of Christmas... Just white and hunter green, with lots of fake snow, furs, decorative animals on either side of the aisle, pine garlands etc...

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for remembering about dad crafty em!

I spoke to him, he seems OK for now but I am still worried about him, he still underestimates the seriousness of what's happening to him and especially the doctors are not connecting the dots because he's not telling them the symptoms right, he's convincing them of what he thinks it is!!! Ridiculous!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Freesia IS my favourite flower since I was little as much as lily of the valley is too, but in third come white roses and because they are my H2B's fave flowers and he keeps saying to him nothing symbolises "eternal love" like the long stemmed white roses do, "the expensive Interflora ones" as he calls them LOL, i thought it would be a nice gesture to have them instead!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Roses & Freesia:

With Callas:

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics