Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Camera people - DSLR vs Bridge

18 of November of 2013 at 10:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I want to get a new camera but I'm stuck between a Canon EOS 600d (DSLR) and Canon Powershot SX50 HS (Bridge). I've only ever had a digital compact camera which has out-served it's usefulness. I really want a flip screen as I will be using it for filming as well as photography. The camera salesperson said the DSLR would be more appropriate because of the higher quality, but I would eventually need to buy another lens to do some of the shots I want to do (close up detailed ones) which is another £400. Whereas the bridge has not so good image quality but it will do everything I want it to do.

Any wisdom as to which one I should go for?

8 replies

Latest activity by Arquard, 18 of November of 2013 at 19:02
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I asked a similar question a while ago and the overwhelming opinion was DSLR over bridge and that it is much better to buy a second hand DSLR than a bridge if money is a consideration - this is what I'll be doing.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I've had 2 bridge cameras and they have been great! A DSLR will give superior photos, but you will spend a fortune on lenses. I'd say a bridge camera is better if you plan to use it for filming too. I currently use Nikon coolpix bridge and it's great!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Depends on portability....do you mind carrying around a heavier, slightly bulkier bit of kit?

Peter

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Buy a DSLR.

But pretty soon, you'll be thinking that if the next lens you want is ONLY £400, that's a good thing Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Buy an extension tube and turn you existing lens in to a close up lens.....Fraction of the cost........

example here

Peter

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

The one thing I love about DSLR's which I never managed to fathom on my Bridge camera, is the depth of field. In other words, you know whn the background is blurry but the main object is in focus, I found with my bridge camera, is constantly wanted to keep everything in focus. Lesnses are really expensive, but I've had my Canon Eos for about 5 years now and I've just stuck with the original lens it came with and I've taken some nice pics with it. I'm never going to be a Pro but for me, it just takes much nicer photos than a compact or a bridge.

Another con though is that they can be heavy and clumpy so be prepared to get annoyed lugging it around.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not as heavy as this one......

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Buy the DSLR. I love mine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles