Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ClaireD*
Beginner May 2014

Camping quandary - new tent for the festival?

ClaireD*, 23 of June of 2014 at 00:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Husband and I will be going to a festival in August. We went last year together (first camping experience together), and it was great. Whilst he is a seasoned festival goer, I'm not and consider myself far too old for that kinda crap, but this festival is post-rock, and I really really enjoyed it.

So, we're thinking of splashing out £60 on this tent (got a £10 off voucher code) ready to head off again this August. Is it worth it? I don't know if the excitement about going away again is making me be frivilous, as we have a perfectly adequate crawl-in tent, which we put a blow up mattress in last year. If we get this tent, we're thinking we'd have our double blow-up, space for bags, camping chairs and WALKING space. A good private roomy space to ahhhhhhemmmmm get the baby wipes out and ahhheemmm, keep fresh over 3 days.

Is it worth it? Or does everyone get carried away, buy a tent, and never use it again?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/gelert-corona-6-person-family-tent/215-2859.prd?skuId=215-2859&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=2271954

(better pics on Amazon, but twice the price on there.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/GELERT-Tent-Corona-green-grey/dp/B008COO2IW )

9 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 23 of June of 2014 at 21:54
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Yes personally I would go for a new one. For me it makes a massive difference being able to stand up in the tent and have room to get changed etc.

Only thing I would check is how heavy it is as you could end up carrying it a long way!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

My other half and I always make sure we have a four man tent, with a porch - where else are we going to put all the beer? Pahaha

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely get the new one, its a bargain too for that price! It makes such a difference having a bit of room to stand up in, plus you'll have somewhere to sit if its raining.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

This is a no-brainer for me. If you're going to stay in a tent, give yourself some extra little luxuries, like a place to stand!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Husband is prepared to carry it in (13kg), and it's a small festival so only about a 5 minute walk from the car park. I think last year we did everything in 2 trips from the car, so let's say this year would be 3 trips. Not too bad. Definitely wouldn't be doing this at one of those crazy big festivals where you walk for 45 minutes from the car park!

You were right about needing the beer space too. This festival allows you to bring your own booze throughout the site (not just in the camping area). We spent a grand total of £5 at the stalls there last year, on teas. Came with massive amounts of beer and cider in the car Smiley smile

OK, so we put in the order this lunchtime, as you were all positive about it. Thanks for the feedback Smiley smile

The non-standing-up tent we had last year was a 3 man tent, and was just the size of a double blow up mattress. So, husband said this one is a 6 man tent, so I assumed the back compartment would be the same size, plus the same again in the front compartment - ie double what we had. Great for standing up, and having chairs in if it rains etc.

So, he's just checked the dimensions, AFTER we've ordered. It's about the same size as our lounge. The back compartment ONLY must be the 'sleeps 6' element, as it's bigger than two super kingsize mattresses. TWO !!! Then the same again in the front. So the porch is bigger than two super kings as well.

Do we just run with this, or is this just ridiculously excessive?!?!?!?!

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    squidgybob ·
    • Hide content

The 'sleeps x' part will always only refer to the designated sleeping area. I'd say go for it, it's good deal for the money. Check with the festival organisers though about the pitch size to make sure it will fit!

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

Tried to reply 3 times now but it keeps showing a blank message! Grrr!

Anyhoo, It'll be just the right size. To fit 6 people in you'd have to sleep really close! We take a 5 man tent when its just the 2 of us and have a room for sleeping, one for storing all our stuff and then the living area for a table and chairs. Our bedroom compartment says it sleeps 3 but our double airbed fills it. You can never have too much space when camping ?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Ok, I'm going to trust you guys and go with it..... And maybe I'll post a photo of us putting it up in the driveway next weekend (to check it's all intact) since we can't fit it in the lounge!

There's nothing about tent size on the festival website, but I have heard of limitations before. Even if they turn out to have limits, I know we'll get away with it anyway as husband is chums with the festival organisers!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We thought it meant "sleeps 6 in the overall internal space, but really it's fine for 2 people just to sleep in the back half in comfort and have no one sleep in the front so that you can fit loads of beer and chairs there". I'm blaming the husband since he's the festival / camping expert.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a bargain! Great for having loads of room at the festival, nothing worse than a too small tent.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics