Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katianne
Beginner February 2014

Can a dress that's been altered be taken out again?

Katianne, 12 April, 2013 at 22:01 Posted on Planning 0 3

I have found 'the dress' but it's over budget ☹️

So, not to be deterred, I am looking for the dress as a sample / preloved etc. I have found someone selling a dress that hasn't been worn but has been altered. The original size is the one I'm looking for, but I will need to it altered to fit me, e.g. Taken out a bit. Is this possible and would it be noticeable that it's been done?

3 replies

Latest activity by Katie V, 17 April, 2013 at 09:41
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

How much 'taking out' would it need? As long as there's material left in the seams, it's possible. However, you may well be left with visible stitch holes from the 'taking in'.

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

About 2 inches I think. Going to have a look at it on Friday to see....

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Shop bought wedding dresses have enough material in the seams to be take out anyone, it's common practice. So a new dress would taken out without it being noticeable. So if this one has just been taken in, it should be ok. The only thing would be if the seams had then been trimmed so you need to check that.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

It will depend on the material too. It may well have sewing marks. I'd suggest before you buy it that you get your dress maker / alteration person to look at it. And as said above they may well have trimmed the seems inside and so it wouldn't be able to be let out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics