Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KatieInWonderland
Beginner June 2011

Can anyone help me? About Civil Ceremony, vowels & readings?

KatieInWonderland, 5 July, 2010 at 17:57 Posted on Planning 0 10

As it says can anyone help and explain to me the way a civil ceremony goes. What are readings and do you have themat civils?

Can we do our own vowels etc?

I have no idea about stuff like this

Thanks

Katie

x

10 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Bass, 5 July, 2010 at 18:59
  • B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

OT but love your dress!

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. Readings are optional - I'm having 2 because I think the ceremony is a bit short without them.

You can choose your vows but they have to be agreed with the registrar.

Often the registry office will provide a pack with all the info you need - we just picked our vows from the different options they provided.

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wss!

We got sent a pack with all the options in which you return no later than 4 weeks before.

Had options for which set of words you want to say and some readings you might like, although i think you can pick your own too. Also the music you want if any.

HTH.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Vowels????

I think you are only allowed to use two vowels during the wedding ceremony.

I and U.

Smiley smile

• KatieInWonderland
    Beginner June 2011
    KatieInWonderland ·
    • Hide content

So.. where do readings come from? lol

I know this may sound silly but i really have no clue.

And can we have any music or does it have to be what they offer??? lol

And thank you brideseekingblush

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

When we gave notice, the registrar gave us a pack with options for things like vows, readings etc. You can choose from what they suggest, or use your own. Google for wedding readings and wedding vows to get an idea of what sort of things are used. Pretty much everything is optional though, there's just a couple of lines that are mandatory. Music can be selected by you - we have one song for the entrance, two for signing the register, and one for the exit.

The only restriction with civil ceremonies is that there's no religious content allowed. The definition of this depends on how strict the registrar is, but some will not allow, for example, a song with a religious word in.

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont know where they come from they are just on some paper in the pack! lol. I think they are common ones that are used.

There is no music offered, you pick your own, it just can't have any religious content.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Im going along the line of thinking of it can come from anywhere! a poem, song lyrics, if you know some one creative who can write one or a snippit of a favorite book (a part of Alice in Wonderland perhaps!) I found a few good ones here

http://www.weddingmagazine.co.uk/articles/receptions/369799/wedding-readings.html

there are loads of examples of funny, romantic, religious ones. (although there are certain rules concerning religious mentions in civil ceremonies) its a good starting point of ideas!

i want a funny one, (im thinking an Edward Monkton story) and a more romantic one or as my mum is doing one of the reading a 'advice type' one, there is "oh the places you will go" by Dr Seuss that i like, but it may be a bit too long.

My OH is Irish so i may try and research some irish love poems.

Do you have any idea of who will be doing your readings? that may help you decide! because we have decided my mum and OH's brother in law we are finding ones that suit them and their relationships with us hence the romantic or advisory one from mum and and irish reading from the Irish half of the family!!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have readings included in our pack, just got them by googling - or there's books you can buy that have some in, I quite liked doing that as then I could read them on the tube, and what Becky said re the music - just make sure there's no religious content - and if there's any songs you're not sure about check it out as some registrars are more picky than others about what constitutes a religious reference.

• KatieInWonderland
    Beginner June 2011
    KatieInWonderland ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha shows how much i know right?

• KatieInWonderland
    Beginner June 2011
    KatieInWonderland ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Other people read your readings????

Oh dear thats something else ill have to deal with lol

x

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont think there are any rules against you doing it if you want!

I just googled for some readings and you'll never guess where the first result was! Hitched i keep forgetting that the website isnt just about the forum!

check it out

https://www.hitched.co.uk/speeches/readings/readingshome.aspx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics