Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

Can anyone recommend a good guillotine?

kharv, 18 July, 2011 at 13:10 Posted on Planning 0 11

In my wisdom I have decided to make my own invitations. Because of this I'm going to need a guillotine so my invites don't look like a 4 year old cut them out.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one that won't break the bank?

Ta!

11 replies

Latest activity by ATB, 19 July, 2011 at 09:14
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We ended up with one from Asda (eurgh, I know!) for about a tenner that took 4 or 5 sheets of card at once. We only used it for our menus but it worked fine.

Do you or your OH have one at work you might be able to borrow?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

A lot of the ones for sale for domestic use, especially at the cheaper end of the market aren't that great, especially after repeated use.

I used the industrial one we have here in work! I asked in the stationery office and they were happy to let me on it for a lunch hour or two. Is this an option you could explore?

Beginner
    1511 ·
    • Hide content

A metal ruler and a craft knife may give better results

• G
    Beginner November 2011
    GemGem81 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I bought a gullotine for about £10 from staples but it got blunt really quickly. I ended up cutting everything out with a scalpel and metal ruler on a cutting board. Took a while and was a bit hard on the wrist but looked good in the end! Plus was much easier just to change the blade on the knife when it got blunt.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately we don't have one in my office and OH doesn't work in an office so no go there. Cheers though.

In my experience even some of the really expensive ones can be rubbish - we had one at my old job that cost about £200 and it was still pants!

Was hoping someone might have made a discovery! Will try the asda one CB.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

In all honesty, none of the ones I have tried over the past few years have been accurate enough to give me good quality results especially if you are layering items or trying to cut along a printed edge etc! The best one I have is a Woodware one (it's red) and cost about £30.00 (ish) but it still isn't 100%.

I would recommend for accurate results, a scalpel and ruler.

I have been lucky enough to be able to invest in a machine that does it all for me now but I have about 8 guillotines at home that are gathering dust!

Nat

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I took my paper into the office and used the work one. Either that or fork out £60 for a decent one (Rymans/Staples) but that kinda defeats the cost saving effort.

Other than that a craft knife/stanley knife/scalpel and metal ruler do fine - just keep your fingers out of the way.

Or buy card the right size to start with.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm putting the card through the printer so buying the correct size is out.

I think a scalpel and ruler might be the way forward.

cheers all.

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Check your printer settings to see what size it will take.

My basic HP Inkjet cuts all sorts as long as I set up the page size first.

Please do email me if you would like some advice.

Nat

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We cheated and got Staples to cut our save the date cards using their proper guillotine. From memory it cost about 15p per sheet (A4 and we had four cards printed on one sheet of card). The girl that did ours was brilliant - she took ages over it, making sure they were perfect! We'll definitely go back to get our invites done as we figure it will work out about the same to buy a decent guillotine.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Do you know any primary school teachers? they all seem to own them as spend lots of evening mounting stuff for their kiddiwinks.....

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Mine is by X Cut and I find it really good. Probably the best of a bad bunch on the market if you decide to go down that route. I know I'd never manage with a steele rule. Just don't cut too many bits at a time, even if it will take it. Won't be as good a result!

Overall though - as someone has said - buy as much the right size as possible. May be slightly more expensive but worth it for the professional look and less stress!

http://www.craftsuperstore.co.uk/Crafts/Craft-Tools/Paper-Trimmers/sc1138/p916.aspx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics