Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner November 2014

Can I change my name on my passport before the wedding?

ExpensiveRedBridesmaid46, 17 of July of 2014 at 09:38 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi,

My passport expires in September, and the wedding is in November. I have read that I can change the name on my passport to my soon to be married name 3 months prior to the wedding day and the minister who is marrying us needs to complete part of the form. I have read that I will need to complete an application form as well as a PD2 form (which the minister completes the first section). I have also read that the new passport will be postdated for the wedding day so that I can travel in my new name for the honeymoon.

However...

I have just called up the passport office the verify this and the person said I can not change my name before the wedding as there is no marriage certificate and that I'll have to renew my passport in my current name and change the name at a later time. Not good considering I've already booked the honeymoon in my new name.

so has anyone out there renewed AND changed the name on their passport prior to wedding and does the person from the passport office I spoke to today have no clue ?

thanks!!

8 replies

Latest activity by Dream Team Dean, 17 of July of 2014 at 11:34
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Pretty sure the lady you spoke to is wrong, although with the current issues with issuing passports and the massive backlog it's also likely she may have been a temp!

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

I've got the same situation. Although not getting married until next year so not booked the honeymoon yet but need to decide what I want to do name-wise before we do.

According to the website you can https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/marriage-and-civil-partnership Would like to hear from people who have done it.

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

You can definitely do it - I got mine back a few weeks ago, all ready for the honeymoon.

I had the registrars complete the PD2 form around the 12 week mark, and then sent that and my passport application off. 3 weeks later (I was pretty lucky) I had my shiny new passport.

• E
    Beginner November 2014
    ExpensiveRedBridesmaid46 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, I thought so. Would I simply need to complete an application form (which I normally would for a renewal) and a PD2 form too? Can you remember what parts were completed in your current name and what parts were completed in your new name?

If not I'm sure the post office would be much better help than the passport office. I had a slight panic in the costs of changing my name for the honeymoon (after the travel agent said I could book it in my new name and that I CAN change my name 3 months before) and having to change my name to renew my passport twice!

Thanks again

• E
    Beginner November 2014
    • Hide content

Thankyou this has made me feel so much better Smiley smile

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

I think the PD2 form is in your current name, and your passport in your new name. You'll need to sign with your new signature as well, I got a couple of forms because I forgot on the first one and merrily signed in my current name!

• E
    Beginner November 2014
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh I have not thought about signing in a new signature . It is so easy for men not having to change their name

• Dream Team Dean
    Beginner October 2013
    Dream Team Dean ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Yes you can change your name at least 3 months prior to your wedding date, the passport validation will only start on your wedding date so you cannot use it before then. I got all the passport forms, and the form for my minister to sign and declare that I will be getting married on the actual date.

You can get this information from passport website.

My passport information was sent off on Monday and posted back to me by Friday, it was a quick and easy process.

Good Luck! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics