Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner October 2013

Can I get married in a cinema?

CinemaWedding, 26 January, 2012 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'd absolutely love to get married in a restored / historic cinema but the few we've looked at in London don't have a licence and to get one would be quite costly (around £2,000). Does anyone know of a cinema that does weddings? Is there any one else looking into cinema weddings for 2013 who would be interested in splitting the price of a licence?

We've been looking in London but would be prepared to move our location for the right venue. Any suggestions much appreciated!

14 replies

Latest activity by wintersunday, 28 January, 2012 at 10:16
  • S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

What an unusual and fun idea! Smiley laugh I'd love to know how this turns out!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

On the channel 5 celebrity wedding planner program Jedward arranged a wedding in a cinema, I think it was the BAFTA cinema.

• C
    Beginner October 2013
    CinemaWedding ·
    • Hide content

Haha - I'm re-thinking the idea now! I can't believe I'd be thinking along the same lines as Jedward!!! Thanks for all the ideas so far Smiley smile

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I think someone was planning this if you change your mind back. Was it anniepie? Where is she theese days? *shout out to annie*

• P
    Beginner May 2013
    Princess124 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if Ireland has any relevance / family connection to you, so a bit of a long shot....

http://www.langtons.ie/weddings/

This place was perfect when I went to a wedding there in 2010. Beautiful food and great service too.

Strictly speaking its pretty new, but has a really old vibe and decor to it. Think a lot of the seats etc are reclaimed

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

What a great idea! Maybe some entrepreneurs could buy up some of the beautiful 30's cinemas that have gone into disrepair and open them up as venues.. We have one in Wakefield that I used to go to as a child every Saturday morning and it was original art deco 30's style. It's been closed for years so would be lovely to see it re-open.

• C
    Beginner October 2013
    CinemaWedding ·
    • Hide content

The theatre in Ireland looks beautiful! I think we are going to have to widen our seach to include theatres as well.

If anyone does like the sound of splitting the cost of a licence for a cinema - I think they last a year so it would only restrict us to the same year - the one I like most in London is the Phoenix:

http://www.phoenixcinema.co.uk/aboutus/history/

I've contacted them and they said they just don't have the demand to justify the cost. It's a beautiful setting though and just one screen so you'd have the whole building to yourself.

Thanks for all the links and suggestions - going to look through them properly later Smiley smile

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be the legal ceremony? You could have your own service or a humanist one (think its called), and go to the registry office for the legal bit?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

The Dome Cinema in Worthing on the south coast has a license, but its not the actualy cinema that's licensed... but the rooms are baeutiful!

I know they have a webpage too.

HTH

DM

• PurpleStar
    Rockstar May 2022
    PurpleStar ·
    • Hide content

This news story might be of interest to you...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8890851.Brighton_couple_to_get_married_in_cinema/

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Littlelaura82 ·
    • Hide content

BAFTA do weddings. I organised a fundraising party there a few years back and it was amazing. They have enough room for ceremony and reception and it's a really lovely venue. Just down the road from Pic Cir and Green Park so lovely wedding pics for sure. X

• NorthernLight
    NorthernLight ·
    • Hide content

That sounds amazing!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

There is a beautiful old cinema in Birmingham called

THE ELECTRIC that host's weddings. I know it's probably too far away but it is a lovely venue.....

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    wintersunday ·
    • Hide content

It's not exactly the same issue, but OH and I are planning on doing a not-legal wedding to get around restrictions in what we can and can't do with civil weddings (in our case, we want a pagan ceremony, and they're not legally recognised in England or Wales, and we don't think it's fair or practical to ask our guests to trek to Scotland). Our plan is to make it official with a very low-key visit to the register office with immediate family (and unrelated witnesses if needed, we're not sure if that's necessary yet), and on another day (before/ after, haven't decided yet) hire a hall and have a ceremony officiated by close friends* followed by a traditional reception. I'm not sure how it'll all pan out yet, we're at the very early stages of our planning, but that may be something to consider if you really want to have a ceremony in a non-licensed venue. (The other advantage is, at our local register office's current costs, it's £110.50 for the very basic service at the RO including giving notice, rather than £67 plus £271.50-£377.50 to have them attend your wedding and restrict what you can and can't say and where you can or can't go. These are the prices for Manchester, I'm afraid I've got no idea about London)

* There are also officiants for hire for that sort of thing- pagan, humanist, and I'm sure others for things like recommitment ceremonies.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics