Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Can I have your HONEST opinion about this dress please

Sarah_mk, 30 of June of 2016 at 23:41 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi!

I've found a bargain from Maggie Sottero , but its from their 2005 range so I guess its getting dated now. Could I please have your very honest opinion about it (there's no need to be polite , I'd prefer you to say its awful if thats what you think!) lol

Thanks

S

18 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 21 of July of 2016 at 10:47
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Being as you asked for total honesty I will say shiny just isn't my thing. That said there is nothing wrong with the dress it's just my personal taste. I don't think wedding dresses have changed much over the last few years there are just even more styles out there now in every shape imaginable. It's a classic shape and I dnt think people would think "oh she bought an old dress!". So I think if you like it that's all that matters. ?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

While it's not my cup of tea (I don't like skirts with gathering throughout) I think it's nice and very similar to several styles available today. If you felt good in it no one will know it's from 2005 unless you tell them, I'm hoping to have similar luck to shave some money off my dress as my wedding has been moved quite far from its original date.

• E
    Beginner May 2017
    Ellensmummy ·
    • Hide content

If I'm completely honest it reminds me a bit of a duvet where the individual pockets get sewn together..! Sorry! Also a bit shiny. I think dresses change so much and it doesn't come across as modern. Good luck with what you choose x

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

It's really tough to know whether it's a bad dress or they're bad photos.

For me, it's like there's too much going on. I think that the shiny dresses only look really good with a simple design.

Much as I love them, I do feel pickups to be a tad dated but I'd have said they were dated before 2005!

Overall, I'm just not a fan - I'm sorry! Smiley sad

I just think you can do better Smiley smile

x

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Maggie Sottero is a lovely make! I think the fullness is very pretty and the pleating is very similar to some I have seen for this year. It has a pretty fastener at the back and looks rather elegant from the back Even though it is shiny it would bounce any lighting back if you are having a disco/party on the day.

The biggest question is how does it make you feel? If you feel like a million dollars then it is the dress for you! If you don't feel comfortable then don't get it. The price helps a lot but your dress is just as important as you on the day. Put it back on and ask yourself how you feel (also try sitting down on a chair and make sure it's comfortable).

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't like gathers on the skirt, but that some people might think I should be sat on top of a toilet roll in my dress as it's a bit frilly.

As long as you like it that's all that matters, and it does look stunning on you.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Shine and gathers aren't my cup of tea and I do think that is a little dated - I also think it's not the most flattering of styles.

Honestly though, this is just personal preference - if you feel good in it, then go for it.

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

I love Maggie dresses and I don't think the fact its a 2005 dress matters - it depends on how it makes you feel. I like the top part and love the lace up back. I'm not keen on the skirt at all but that is just personal preference as I'm not a fan of such a full skirt. I think maybe this picture isnt the most flattering either as the light is bouncing all over the place. I agree with what others have said though - its more about how you feel in it and if you feel fabulous then its the one for you!

good luck x

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

My friend wore a very similar Maggie dress to this when she got married in 2007, so I would look at it as a bit dated but only because I know that, if you see what I mean?

If this is you in the photos, I would say it looks great on you, & like others have said, if it makes you feel amazing then it's the one for you! I think it's very pretty. It's difficult to gain opinions from people on forums as everyone has very different tastes - i.e. when I've been dress shopping with my friend who wore this dress to her wedding, all the ones she pulls out for me are lovely but not my style, she's loving all the big sparkly numbers but they're just not me! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely keep this in mind, OP.

My sister came dress shopping with me and you'd have thought I had walked out of the changing room in an old potato sack - just because I had chosen a shorter and less 'princess' dress. She constantly tried to persuade me to get something else or add a veil so it looked 'like a wedding dress'.

Honestly - if it's the one for you, then go for it.

• C
    Beginner July 2016
    Chaffinch ·
    • Hide content

I like the back.

let me put it this way... If you absolutely loved it, would you be asking for our opinions? Or would you be dancing around singing " I found the one, I found the one!"

• M
    Beginner September 2016
    MulticolouredBride ·
    • Hide content

I actually really like it!!

But my dress is Satin and originally i wanted a Ruffle skirt..so im a bit biased.

I do think Pick Ups are quite dated but this is more ruffly/frilly to me than a Pick Up so doesnt look old fashioned IMO.

Everyone does have different taste.. ive seen people go wild over dresses that i think are ugly and boring... if its to your taste and you feel nice in it then thats all that matters.

Just dont get it for price alone as you might come to regret it xx

• G
    Beginner
    Goldglittersparkles ·
    • Hide content

I honestly think it does look very cheap - I think it's the shiny material.

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

I think there is too much going on... However when I was trying dresses on my mum kept wanting me to try ones like this... So I wouldn't necessarily say dated, just very busy! Xx

• M
    Beginner January 2017
    melidy ·
    • Hide content

I will just say this, if it were full price and not a bargain would you still be undecided?

Go for a dress that makes you feel amazing, if this IS it awesome, buy it. If not keep looking, you will find it. And if money is an issue there will be other bargains, other sample sales and other ways to get your dream dress. Don't settle for a dress you aren't completely happy with Smiley heart

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I would echo what Melidy said...if the dress wasn't a bargain would you still buy it? don't be swayed by price alone.

I tried on lots of dresses and was not amazed by any. Then I tried a sample sale dress on that was originally over budget but in budget if sale one fitted. the sample fitted and I loved it. Was so happy but was worried I was being swayed by price. But that afternoon I went back to order it cos spent the day worrying I would miss out on it which made me realise I did genuinely want it. There was another dress I liked as much but was £900 more expensive so price came into it then but only because I liked both dress equally.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

You posted exactly the same question 5 years ago - still not made up your mind?!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! I thought I was indecisive! How odd.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics