Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

spacecadet_99
Beginner

Can paint fumes make you ill like this?

spacecadet_99, 3 of September of 2008 at 09:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

They're painting all the corridors and public areas at my work at the moment, yesterday they weren't painting that near my office but they left all their pots and brushes right outside so it still smelt really strong. Mid afternoon I started getting a really scratchy throat which throughout the afternoon/evening became worse with a headache and real bone tiredness. Had very funny dreams last night too. Today, I feel worse and a bit light headed as well and the painting is now right outside my office. I didn't twig that this might cause how I'm feeling till someone said that a couple of people went home yesterday feeling unwell (these people were working on Monday unlike me so were exposed longer!). Is there a chance the paint fumes are doing this? If so I have no idea how the painters work with it every day, I feel rubbish!

4 replies

Latest activity by Jennifer, 7 of September of 2023 at 04:34
  • P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Yes.

Milk is good for the scratchy throat - the fats absorb the solvent molecules / leave a protective oily film on the mucus membranes

Fresh air should clear the head - so open windows and improve ventilation as much as possible.

Finally, report this to health and safety immediately - at least 3 people have now been affected, and while the symptoms are unlikely to be long-term, this sort of thing needs picking up on !

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content

I was reading the other day about the increased risk in painters of lung cancer because of the volatile carcinogens in paints.

Hope you feel better soon!

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

Yes it can.

I'm asthmatic and by far the worst stage for me is when the paint is drying. I once had to go to A&E as it prompted such a violent attack. The Dr there (no idea how true this is) said that paint releases most of it's chemicals during the drying process. If we have the house painted I have to go away and stay somewhere else, great excuse though ? I am fine with gloss paint it's only emulsion and I find the cheaper the paint the worse my reaction.

I think you should let them know at work and find out what brand of paint they are using so you can avoid it in future.

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.... well I haven't got any milk here but can have a glass when I get home. The windows in my office are painted shut (helpfully) but I'll get them to open the window in the corridor, hopefully that will help although I'm sure they won't want to as it's freezing today! I'll let the health and safety person know too, I'm fairly sure that's one of the people who had a headache yesterday so really he ought to already know but maybe no one has put 2+2 together yet. Joy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics