Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

Can you have 9ct and 18ct gold together?

*Mini*, 10 March, 2011 at 10:40 Posted on Planning 0 7

I have found a WR that I really like but its 9ct gold as opposed to me 18ct ER, the lady in the shop said that thyere was no way I could pout the 2 together as it would ruin the 9ct ring? Is that true as I havnt managed to find any other ring I like really.

7 replies

Latest activity by Nolan2B, 10 March, 2011 at 11:29
  • L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

I have heard that you need to have the same metal for both rings as if not they can react to each other?? I think it's also something to do with one being a 'harder' metal than the other so it can damage the other??

However, like you I had no idea about these things so not sure exactly what would happen

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

18ct would slowly wear away the 9ct ring, I would definitely say it's best to have matching metals at 18ct, plus your wedding ring is suppose to last a lifetime...9ct probably won't without looking out of shape and scratched within a few months.

If your heart is set on a specific design, can you a) ask them to make it for you in 18ct or b) contact smooch who can make you a ring at really good value in the same or even better design (as long as you have a picture for them to copy) - you can bespoke all of their rings in the collection.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

I was also advised not to have them together as one is harder than the other.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea we had Smooch round a few weeks back...wasnt impressed I have to say

The shop that my ER came from will make me a matching WR but the one I have seen in another store would fit perfectly without any adjustments ?

• Nolan2B
    Beginner April 2011
    Nolan2B ·
    • Hide content

My ER is 14ct white gold so when I looked at WR we were told to get 18ct for my WR so that it didn't cut into my ER, nowhere does 14ct so I had no choice but I would rather my Wr was worn than my ER because it's more delicate iykwim? Surely even if they are the same carat they will still wear against each other it will just be more equal? Yours is the other way round though so the WR is harder (less gold more metal) so would rub into your ER over time more than if it were 18ct too but you could always rotate the rings regularly to try & even it out a bit so it's not the same 2 sides against each other all the time?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

If it's to do with hardness, the 9ct will be harder than 18ct (9 ct is harder as it has less gold and more other metals, gold is soft the other metals are hard), so if anything, the wedding ring will ruin the engagement ring not the other way around.

I hope not though, I have a 9ct WR and an 18ct ER, the jeweller didn't mention not having the 2 together and he knew that they were different hardnesses.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

as so it would be my ER that gets worn away? Thats what I am really worried about as I love my ER.

Hmmm may have to squeeze a bit more out of the budget then in that case.....

• Nolan2B
    Beginner April 2011
    Nolan2B ·
    • Hide content

Yes your WR would be harder as it has less gold & more metal so would wear your ER down over time ☹️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics