Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2015

Can you have a religious ceremony outside of a church?

Jelly_Tots, 11 August, 2012 at 11:10 Posted on Planning 0 5

We have found a gorgeous hotel that we want to get married in and have our reception in, only thing is i would like to have a religious ceremony there, is this possible? can a vicar marry us at the hotel? Ive tried looking online but cant seem to find any answers. Thanks in advance x

5 replies

Latest activity by Figs, 12 August, 2012 at 13:59
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

The vicar won't be able to marry you but it might be possible for a vicar to perform a blessing after the civil ceremony has taken place.

This will be down to the registrar and if you can find a vicar that's happy to do it.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what Kharvo said.

We found a venue that we utterly adored but we had no connections to a local church, nor did we want a civil ceremony. As much as we loved that venue, getting married in a church that meant something to us was a big thing, so the search went on, and we ended up with a venue we love.

Can you marry at a church local to the venue then move on to the reception venue you love?

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine got married in a registry office but said they were given the choice of a religious or non-religious ceremony. I'm not sure how that works as I was never offered a choice, simply told that a civil ceremony cannot legally have any religious content in it.

Otherwise, what Kharv and Kirsta said!

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

My understanding was that if you marry in a civil venue (ie registry office or other approved premises such as a hotel) then the service cannot contain any religious content at all, not even a song such as Angels by Robbie Williams! So as others have said, you'd need to get married in a church if that was what you wanted. But AB's friend seems to have been offered a choice... strange.

• J
    Beginner August 2015
    Jelly_Tots ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies Smiley smile we've had a chat and are going to get married in a local church and then have our reception at the Hotel as we do really love the venue. The church we have chosen means a lot to him as his grandads are buried there and his nans ashes are also scattered there, plus it is a really lovely little church. x

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds really lovely, and absolutely perfect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics