Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HayleyMay
Beginner September 2012

Can you help me decide my main course?? Ideas welcomed!

HayleyMay, 16 January, 2012 at 14:03 Posted on Planning 0 19

Can you help me??

We don't want to go down the traditional route of chicken or beef with potatoes, veg etc.

OH and myself love food such as steak and chips, chicken and chips, pretty much anything with chips!! ?

Typical American grill food if you like. Think TGI Friday's.

We have thought of fish n chips, which would be a nice touch as his Nana grew up in a chip shop!

Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be great! I'm a bit stuck!

Thanks!!

Ps. This is not for the vegetarian option. We only have one vegetarian so thats easy!

19 replies

Latest activity by Missus S, 26 January, 2012 at 17:51
  • Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

There no set rules as to what u can have.

R u having a choice or a set menu? Remember what u love might not be to everyones taste and u dont want most people to leave their dinner - what a waste?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I thought you didnt want potatoes at your wedding?

I like the steak and chips option.

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    Pockers ·
    • Hide content

Steak might be a bit hard due to people liking theirs cooked different ways, ie rare or well done etc. How about Burgers. You could personalise them a bit more by adding different toppings. A friend of mine had sausage & Mash and that went down a storm!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Yes it'd be a set menu, which is why I'm unsure of fish n chips as many people don't like fish.

Also stuck with what kind of starter you would have with this!! ?

Trickers - Hate potatoes in typical potato form. Love them as chips!!! ?

• Elena Iuliana
    Beginner May 2017
    Elena Iuliana ·
    • Hide content

The idea of chicken with chips sounds yummy and I am sure the guests will like it too!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

We almost went with steak but decided against it due to the fact that everyone likes theres cooked differently, as mentioned by a previous poster! Shame, as at the tasting it was delicious! I think fish and chips sounds like a nice idea especially with your OH's Nana's connection but it is true that not everyone likes fish. Let me have a think....

Not very american but what about pie and chips, or pie and mash? You could have steak and ale pie? Or a nice chicken pie?

Or you could do beef and/or chicken burgers with chips.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

We're having fish suppers as our main meal - only vegetarians/coelias or those we know that HATE fish will get an option! We are going to wrap the suppers in newspaper that we'll design ourselves ensuring that OH and I are the headline news! We aren't having a starter but good substantial canapes.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Is it possible for your venue to do platters so for example, a big bowl of rustic chips on each table and then platters of...mini burgers, Mini fish, Mini sausages, Mini pies, mini chicken skewers etc etc then your guests can pick and choose what they want with the chips and could have 2 or 3 rather than having to have the fish or having to have steak etc....just a thought obviously this depends if you want the more informal feel? the 'mini's' would obviously be 'posh' versions haha but if thats the food you and your H2B like then go for it, it will mean something for everyone too!

first example i could find but you get the idea...Smiley smile x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this idea!

To the OP - we are having steak, I love steak! Pie and chips could work well as mentioned, also chicken and chips a la Nandos, mmmm.

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    PhoenixAngelic ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if I'm going to help or hinder here but I don't eat steak, so that would be a nightmare for me if it was the only option.

But I do like the suggestion of 'mini' burgers and other items because this might well give everyone a chance to have something they like.

It is a difficult thing to decide upon. We're having a similar issue. We both LOVE salmon and that would be our choice but it won't suit everyone and possibly not even the majority of our guests so we're having to think differently.

It is true that people are there as guests and should therefore be grateful that they are being fed at all. But the other argument is that people who are not hungry and feel they have been well looked after are more likely to be happy and participate in all the activities and fun later on, which you really really want or the whole thing falls flat on its face.

Now I come to think of it, why did I not take the running off to Cyprus on our own option? Smiley surprise

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

We wanted steak and chips too, but we love it done perfectly to our tastes, and imagine the rest of the guests will too, and I didnt want that stress.

So for us it had to be Sausage and Mash.

Went to a wedding recently where they had Pie and Mash and it was perfect in making sure people didnt get too hammered too early and people were kept filled up the whole day.

• R
    Beginner May 2012
    Rebajay1510 ·
    • Hide content

Fish & Chips sounds good as does sausage and mash. We've gone more traditional, though our guests do get to choose from 3 starters, mains and desserts. Have you thought about sharing platters / dishes? Like curries or pies or paella type / style foods - that means all the guests dish their foods themselves?

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

As a guest I would like fish and chips and as others have said steak can be tricky.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies!! Nice to have such positive feedback!

I agrre with what everyone has said about the steak... thats was what was putting me off!

I like the mini burgers n chicken etc idea. That'd be my dream food! But ideally we do want to keep it as a sit down meal. Well, not so much me as OH!!

Being the silly person I am I have opnly just realised that we're having bacon barms and wedges as snacks in the evening disco, so would this be too similar to the type of food we want in the day??

In a way I feel like saying the majority like chips, chicken, fish etc and you can't please everyone! I have NEVER been to a wedding where I have eaten much of the main course apart from the meat and I'm not a particularly fussy eater, just not a fan of a typical 'Sunday dinner' many weddings have.

But then I want people to enjoy the food and feel that they've had enough. Well, I suppose I have to feel this way to be nice ?

Urgh weddings can be a pain sometimes!!!!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies!! Nice to have such positive feedback!

I agrre with what everyone has said about the steak... thats was what was putting me off!

I like the mini burgers n chicken etc idea. That'd be my dream food! But ideally we do want to keep it as a sit down meal. Well, not so much me as OH!!

Being the silly person I am I have opnly just realised that we're having bacon barms and wedges as snacks in the evening disco, so would this be too similar to the type of food we want in the day??

In a way I feel like saying the majority like chips, chicken, fish etc and you can't please everyone! I have NEVER been to a wedding where I have eaten much of the main course apart from the meat and I'm not a particularly fussy eater, just not a fan of a typical 'Sunday dinner' many weddings have.

But then I want people to enjoy the food and feel that they've had enough. Well, I suppose I have to feel this way to be nice ?

Urgh weddings can be a pain sometimes!!!!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you can still have a sit down meal with this option and do platters and bowls on each table so everyone is still sat at their table and theres no buffet queue's etc it's also a good way to get people who don't know each other interacting....alternatively have you asked your venue if you can offer options on the invites e.g fish and chips/gourmet burget and chips/chicken skewers and chips etc and then as long as they have the requirements a month or so before they should be able to cater for your guests needs (This would mean hard work on your behalf though getting in the requests)

another option would be to have a main course that comprises of a mini battered fish/a mini burger/a mini chicken skewer and chips and then if people don't like one element they can leave it? kind of like when people have trio's of desserts? not sure how you would present it though haha Smiley tongue

Smiley smile x

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Its worth asking!! ?

Now to convince OH, and maybe think of something different for the evning so its not all too similar!

Thank you xxxxxxxx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I would advise everyone to avoid having battered fish and chips particularly if your is a large wedding. (unless your having your dinner in a fish restaurant that may be better equipped for such occasions)

Fish and chips is really hard for most kitchens to get out in large volumes at one time (think cold soggy chips and batter) where they have had to start cooking the chips and fish far in advance to get enough ready for everyone to eat at the same time...on the other hand if they cook to order you will have finished your meal and be ready for dessert by the time the last table even receive there's and you may find your evening guests arriving before you've even had dessert.

(Ex chef talking from experience)

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Mm thats a good point funkyjameseo.

I do think I like the chips with chicken, some sort of meat idea better. Any advice on this from an ex-chef? ?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I would have thought most people love fish and chips?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics