Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ellie1
Beginner

Can you negotiate a quote from a builder?

ellie1, 29 of July of 2009 at 14:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

We want to have some decking done in the garden and have just got a quote from a guy who's done some work for us before. It's more than we were expecting to pay but we'd like it done.

Is it not the done thing to email back and say we'd accept if the quote was £300 less? He is obviously short on business because he could fit us in to do the job really soon. Not sure if bartering is appropriate...

?

7 replies

Latest activity by David, 17 of November of 2023 at 07:06
  • Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Yes, definitely, but you'll find it much easier if you have had other quotations which were lower. It's one thing to say that you'd like him to do the work but can he match a rival's quote, quite another just randomly to knock £300 off his figures.

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

WKS

• ellie1
    Beginner
    ellie1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. The thing is, I'm pretty sure his quote would be the lowest around. It was when we had work done from him before. And because we know him and he was reliable we'd like to use him again. I should check out some other quotes but I don't think they will be lower.

I guess there's no harm trying. We could only afford to have it done if it was £300 cheaper anyway. He may still want the business.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Abso-bloody-lutely!

I never, ever pay what they quote - ever!

I ask for a price, and then a "Peaches Price" lol (which usually means paying cash)

Which reminds me .. I need to pay some bills.

As someone else said, get at least 3 quotations, then you have something to compare against. I'm having new shutters put in here and I've had 5 prices. Not gone for the cheapest but gone for the workmanship, recommendations (of which is very important to me, especially as I don't know the tradesmen here yet) and the company. Actually, I didn't get anything off these now I think about it. I'm losing my touch!

• L
    Beginner
    Lady Gooner ·
    • Hide content

My approach it that everthing is negotiable. You'd be surprised what you get when you ask ?

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

As a builders wife (2 b) £300 is a lot of money to loose. Find out what materials he intends to use, if it's the absolute top quality, then ask him to use the next best thing, or source all the materials yourself so you're just paying labour.

If the £300 would mean his labour then most builders usually work to about £100-£125 per day so can he reduce the length of time he's working on the project e.g. you do some of the work yourself.

Feel free to ask any questions?!

• ellie1
    Beginner
    ellie1 ·
    • Hide content

That's helpful, thanks. The labour alone was £1000 and said it would take 5-6 days, so is that a bit steep?

He's a lovely Polish guy and I always thought he was cheaper than others people because he gets Polish worker mates to work for him. They don't speak any English, and so if we have questions then we have to ring him up and he comes round. Hence his quote for our last lot of work was way cheaper than others.

I could and should get other quotes but I don't have any recommendations and I was very pleased with his work last time. I may ring him tonight and see if he'll reduce...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics