Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LizBjk
Beginner May 2007

Can you stop/ delay a period?

LizBjk, 8 of April of 2008 at 15:57 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Going away next month, first holiday we've been on. We're going away on the 14 - 21st. Just worked out my period is due on the 15th-20th. Not happy.
Is there anything I can take? I'm not on the pill so can't use that. I don't fancy a moon cup either. I'm gutted. My periods are really heavy and I really don't want to go through that abroad.
Heavy period, two toddlers and me in the sun will not mix.?

TIA. ?

14 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousIvoryCakes61034, 24 of October of 2019 at 07:58
  • lobster
    Beginner
    lobster ·
    • Hide content

I'm fairly certain there is some sort of contraceptive like pill for this very purpose.

In all seriousness though several of my friends have found using a mooncup really helps with heavy and or painful periods.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. ?

Just waiting for the nurse to phone me back to let me know.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I tried Norethisterone during my finals, but it didn't work. I've tried everything else since and Cerazette works now I'm not fat, but it's a contraceptive pill. For heavy periods, I've taken Tranexamic Acid. This worked.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thank you doughnut.

I am worried it may not work though. I have my period atm so I can't even do a 'test run' to see if it works. I knew this would happen.
    [V]

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

Northisterone has always worked well for me as long as I take it 3 days before I'm due (3 pills a day).

I get a really bad period the one after though so only take it for the bare minimum of time. Remember it takes a few days after you stop taking it for your period to arrive so I normally stop a day or two before the end of the holiday so I come on as soon as we're back.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks flaming nora. I was just going to ask about that. I was just reading about it. Do you get it on prescription or over the counter? Do you have any side effects and does it always work?
    Sorry for all the questions.

• Puddled
    Beginner May 2009
    Puddled ·
    • Hide content

My friend was not on the pill but took some of mine for a weekend away with her new bloke - it worked for her

x

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by LizBjk
    Thanks flaming nora. I was just going to ask about that. I was just reading about it. Do you get it on prescription or over the counter? Do you have any side effects and does it always work?
    id="quote">

I've took it lots of times and I only get side effects if I've had to take it for several weeks. Usually just the same as you get when you're due on, crampy and narky but nothing major. Like I say, the next period is normally very heavy and very painful but I get no effects if I only take it for a week or so.

The only time it didn't work so well was when I miss calculated my dates and took it the day before I was due. It did make my period exceptionally light but didn't stop it completely.

I get it on prescription but normally get a few more pills than I need so I've always got some in (naughty I know).
  • LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks puddled. I can't take the pill. The doctor took me off it due to some side effects. And when I did start taking it I started bleeding the day after.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

quote:Originally posted by Flaming Nora
    quote:Originally posted by LizBjk
    id="quote">

I've took it lots of times and I only get side effects if I've had to take it for several weeks. Usually just the same as you get when you're due on, crampy and narky but nothing major. Like I say, the next period is normally very heavy and very painful but I get no effects if I only take it for a week or so.

The only time it didn't work so well was when I miss calculated my dates and took it the day before I was due. It did make my period exceptionally light but didn't stop it completely.

I get it on prescription but normally get a few more pills than I need so I've always got some in (naughty I know).
    id="quote">

Thank you. I've just wrote the name down. I have a doctors appointment next week for my ear. I shall ask about it then. ?
  • Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I found I had really sore boobs on it - they felt huge although they were still no bigger than an A cup ? I did take 6 a day though, that might have done it.

I've had similar problems on the pill but this new one has changed my life!

• Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

Just carrying on taking the pill with no break normally does the trick. Failing that you could get pregnant. That ought to delay it for around 9 months?

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Found this on the web:

Women not taking 'the pill'
    Norethisterone tablets can be prescribed. The dose is 5mg three times a day starting 3-4 days before a period is due. It can be continued for up to 2 weeks or so until you want to have a period. The period will normally begin 2-3 days after stopping it. Norethisterone is normally safe to take. Some women have side effects such as bloating, stomach upset, breast discomfort and reduced libido (sex drive).

How does this work
    Norethisterone is a progestogen hormone. Progestogens are hormones that sustain the lining of the uterus. Normally at the time before a period there is a fall in the level of progestogen hormone in the body. When it falls below a certain level the lining of the uterus is shed as menstrual period. By taking norethisterone tablets (progestogen) the lining of the uterus is sustained until the tablet is stopped.

• LizBjk
    Beginner May 2007
    LizBjk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that information Hepburn, and thanks to everyone else for replying.

Spoke to the nurse and I'm going to sort it with the doctor next week.

Had to log off yesterday and when I came back on to reply it was hacked. So sorry for the delay.id="size1">

• L
    LuxuriousIvoryCakes61034 ·
    • Hide content

Norethisterone is a man-made version of the female sex hormone progesterone. It works by mimicking the effects of your natural progesterone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics