Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2012

Can you wear platinum against palladium?

sophiaamay, 6 September, 2011 at 16:22 Posted on Planning 0 7

Just wondering if you could wear platinum against palladium?

My engagement ring is platinum but I don't really want my OH to have to fork out for a platinum wedding ring as well as the engagement ring and I quite like the look of palladium! I feel a bit bad as he wants titanium and it looks like its going to cost me £60 max for his ring compared to what would be over £500 for mine.

I don't want to risk putting two metals together that might wear each other away though.

Please help if you can

x

7 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 6 September, 2011 at 20:33
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Nope. The palladium would wear down the platinum as its a denser metal.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Yes you can. I have a platinum ER and a palladium WR - something to do with them being the same compound or something?

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I was told no as palladium is a harder wearing metal and over time would wear away at the platinum. No way was I was going to risk having the claws holding in my diamond worn away!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Yes you can.

I think as platinum is more expensive, jewellers like you to think you cannot. But a reputable independant jeweller will tell you that you can. As will google.

Platinum is very slightly whiter, and palladium greyer (silvery, rather than grey), so you may notice the difference in colour if wearing them side by side. My sister in fact had a plat e-ring and palladium wedding band, but only wears her wedding band daily now so the colour wasn't an issue.

But yes you most deffo can wear them next to each other.

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I have a platnium ER and a palladium WR and we bought both of them in the Jewellery Quarter - you can most definitely wear them together without danger of one wearing the other down - that's what we were advised anyway.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

You can definately wear them together, it's only gold that you have an issue with because it's so soft. I have a platinum ER and a palladium WR.

Palladium is very good for setting stones in because it doesn't need rhodium plating - it's naturally silver, as opposed to platinum (grey) and gold (yellow).

Jewellers like to tell you that you can't as they want you to buy the more expensive platinum.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics