Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

Canape ideas needed!

Irisbride, 13 of June of 2013 at 09:12 Posted on Planning 0 4

We're serving prosecco and canapes after our ceremony at the church, before we move onto our reception venue. We're planning to make the canapes ourselves the day before, so looking for some ideas? Obviously they have to be able to be made the day before, and be able to be served cold, as don't think we'll be able to heat anything up at the church.

Any ideas? My thoughts so far were salmon blinis, mini tomato bruschetta bites....

4 replies

Latest activity by sophieb01, 13 of June of 2013 at 13:40
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

How many are you having to make? Keep it simple and pre-buy any bits you can. Blinis sound nice but aren't they a PITA to make? You can buy mini oatcakes which are really cute, you could buy these and the mini brushetta breads, then have a couple of different toppings for each? On the oatcakes you could have the salmon and perhaps pate or cheddar cheese and chutney, on the bruscetta you could have the tomato as you've said. You could also cut a choizo sausage into cubes and spear on a cocktail stick with a prawn? easy and would look good.

You don't want the day before your wedding to be a sweatshop of canapes so don't do too many types and try to keep it easy with minimal cooking, just assembling to be done!

Can I also pick your brains about your wedding as I'm looking at maybe having drinks reception at the church also (they have a nice board room type place, and lovely grounds but not sure if we could wander round them with drinks!) What are your timings etc, where are you having the drinks reception and when/how are you getting to your reception venue? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do about the logistics for mine!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ATB, some good suggestions there! We've got 100 guests so maybe need to make about 500 in total! But got quite a few helpers lined up so hopefully if there's a few of us, then it won't take too long!

Our ceremony is at 1 and will last about an hour. I don't anticipate we'll be there for too long, as we are still having a drinks reception at our reception venue (we just decided to ditch the £600 venue canapes). The idea was just that it was a way of giving our guests an extra drink (but cheaper than doing it at the venue) and a quite bite of something before we head to the venue, particularly whilst we're greeting people and having a few photos etc. Don't want to hang around there for too long though as main photos will be at reception venue, and the church has a room attached but I don't think it's that nice, so was hoping if the weather is dry, we can just set up a table outside the church with everything on, so that people can take a glass as they leave the church!

You've got me thinking now, about whether it's going to waste too much time having canapes at the church, as the idea was literally just something for people to nibble on to accompany their glass of prosecco! I did think about making cupcakes so that everyone could just take one of those, but know that some people prefer savoury food, especially before the wedding breakfast. I suppose the alternative would just to put some bowls of fancy crisps or something out on the drinks table?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Ohh cold that's a toughie, ok smoked salmon, or do you like sushi type things at all? Sushi canapes would rock, erm... it's a toughie I'm mostly thinking of hot canapes!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oooh beef carpaccio and mini quiches/tartlets?

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    sophieb01 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I went to a wedding in April and they served mini scones with jam and cream! went down a treat with the champagne whilst standing in the gardens! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics