Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat44
Beginner August 2011

Canapes

Kat44, 16 February, 2011 at 13:39 Posted on Planning 0 19

What are your thoughts on these?

We are getting married at 12.30pm and I'd expect not sitting down to the wedding breakfast until approx 3pm. Do you think it would be an idea to have canapes as well?

(excuse my ignorance here, but are they generally served during reception drinks/photograph time, straight after the ceremony??)

My venue has offered them at £3.50 per person (for 4) which will add about £175 to the cost.

What do you think and WWYD?

TIA

x

19 replies

Latest activity by groomzilla, 25 February, 2011 at 13:53
  • D
    Beginner April 2011
    dotcomm ·
    • Hide content

Can I be cheeky and ask what BHH have offered you Kat? I was thinking about this but haven't done anything about it yet Smiley smile

I would expect them to be served between the ceremony and wedding breakfast, while photos are being taken.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'd go for it. I am a huge fan of canapes anyway, but I do think they add something to a wedding. If you're drinking alcohol, it's nice to have something to nibble on.

Also, if you're only having a few, it works really well in terms of people's appetites getting going. You should guarantee clean plates this way!

If you don't have them, I'm sure no one will think it odd, but if you do have them, I think they add a little something extra if that makes sense?

• sara.jo
    Beginner June 2011
    sara.jo ·
    • Hide content

We are having them ....after the ceremony with the reception drinks on the lawn (weather permitting!) Think its a really nice touch. Ours are £3.95 unlimited (not sure what this means!) and is a 'chefs selection' (again, not entirely sure what this means either! I should check!) Go for it.

On a seperate note, do you think if you have canapes its ok to have a sit down but only have main meal and dessert? We are having a BBQ in the evening too? So it was an idea to cut costs to cut out the starter....Sorry for piggybacking on your thread!

?

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

we are getting married at 1pm and will have canapes before the wedding breakfast at 3p.m, our venue includes them in the package, they will be served with the drinks whilst photos are being taken so hopefully guests can natter, drink and nibble and wont get bored!

x

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we're having them too. As already said, i think they add a 'little something' to the day. We're having them served after our ceremony (starts at 2pm), meal at 5pm. I do miss them if we're at a wedding and there's none offered. We're generally running late everywhere and have had no time for lunch so I'm always ready for them when they're served.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies, all really helpful

I do like the thought of them, just couldn't decide whether they would be worth it IYKWIM but I think I will see what OH thinks about them.

My parents are paying for the wedding and thought this might be a nice little extra we could do ourselves.

no prob dotcomm -choice of 4 from:

Bangers and Mash,

Mini Cheese Burgers,

Fish and Chips in a cone,

Pate Toasted Brioche and Chutney,

Salmon and Asparagus pin wheels,

Goats Cheese and Red Onion Tarts,

Mini Fish Cakes,

Parmesan and Tapenade filled Cherry Tomatoes & Melon and parma ham

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say you necessarily need canapes, but agree it would be a nice touch if your budget stretches to it!

We are having them served during our drinks reception, but then we're not having starters, just a main (BBQ) and a dessert.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I love canapes at a wedding, I think it is nice for the guests to arrive and be able to have drinks and a nibble. Usually the B and G are posing for pictures whilst this happens so it staves off hunger and lets the guests mingle for the first time.

I agree with what CB says, don't do loads though (I think 4 each sounds about right), I have been to weddings where I couldn't eat the main because the canapes and starters had been too much.

One wedding I went to had this (it was lovely but I was so overfaced...)

canapes (can't remember what they all were), mini magnums (lovely on the hot summer's day but so filling)

goats cheese tart (massive portion)

breaded and stuffed pepper with proper chip shop style chips (the meat eaters had fish, chips and mushy peas)

chocolate brownie and icecream

I was sooooooooooooooooooo full, I only ate 1/3 of my main!

Was delicious though ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

For £175, I'd have them.

If you decide not to though, it might be polite to let your guests know they won't be eating until 3pm... since your ceremony is relatively early, they might be expecting lunch at a "normal" lunch-time iyswim, and therefore not eat lunch before they come and be absolutely ravenous by 3pm!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

We are having canapes at our wedding ceremony venue and ordering them in from M&S Smiley smile

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at 12 and eating at 3 so decided to have them. I negotiated with venue though and got 25% knocked off as seem so expensive or nibbly bits! I have only been to 1 wedding where there were no canapes so assumed it was just normal practice...

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    monkey_nut ·
    • Hide content

I too am undecided. We're getting married at 1pm and eating at 3pm at the same venue. We're having a 4 course meal so I'm wondering if people will fill up on canapes? Also, they're £6.50 per head which seems a bit steep compared to prices quoted above... Do you think I can get away with not having them?

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

When i mentioned it to the OH he wasn't so keen but said do what I think best, so mentioned it to the parents as well!

TBH I want them, I think with at least a 3 hour gap before the wedding breakfast and the fact no-one will have eaten since breakfast, I think they will really help.

Might just go ahead regardless lol

Thanks for all your replies

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

We are having canapes but just had the price through from the venue @ £7.00 per head so may see if we can supply our own and either have M&S canapes or a friend of mine is also a caterer so may do them for me?

Edited to add - The price of £7.00 per head is also only 4 canapes per person too!

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I love canapes and am always more than happy to have some but the last wedding we went to didn't have any and I survived ?

• G
    Beginner May 2012
    groomzilla ·
    • Hide content

Am getting married at 2pm and wedding breakfast about 4.30ish so would imagine most people wont have had lunch.

Planning on having canapes in between while we have pics done but now wondering if maybe I should mention it on the invitations so that people don't eat before.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics