Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Canapes at a village hall wedding?

Ali_G, 9 of August of 2012 at 09:29 Posted on Planning 0 8

Do you think we should bother with canapes?

I always associate canapes with posh hotels, not village halls. Do you think we need them?

Or wedding is at 2 and we will be sitting down to eat at 4:30/5ish. We don't need them do we?

Would it be a nice touch? Or a pointless extra effort?

8 replies

Latest activity by Caraboo, 9 of August of 2012 at 12:05
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

You don't need to have them, of course not. We didn't even have any canapes and we had a manor house doodah.

If you want them, then that's an entirely different matter - I don't think food looks out of place wherever it is!

You could do something a bit quirky like mini fish and chips?

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

As the wedding is at 2pm people will presumably have had lunch before coming, so you don't need canapes. But if you wanted them I'm sure they wouldn't look out of place. I like Kharv's idea of mini fish and chips!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Tis a good idea Kharv, our friend had them at her wedding at the weekend and they went down a storm! I should have added though, that I shall be making them myself, so want something relatively easy and that I could make in advance!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ahh right - god no then! Ha.

If you did want to provide something you could always do something really simple like crudités, breadsticks, strips of pita bread and dips? Just stick them on a table in case people are peckish? Cheap as chips too.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I like this idea because, if it's nice weather, we'll want pictures taken outside... so people can pick at the food while the photos are going on and while they're mingling.

I think I'll wait until the week before, and if the weather forecast is ok, I'll do them. If not, I'll forget them.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content

We're having a village hall reception starting at 3 (we're getting married earlier in the day with just a handful of people there). Meal will be at 5ish. We weren't going to bother with canapes but thought a few nibbles with drinks is a nice idea. I actually think a few pots of breadsticks, nuts and crisps around the place is perfectly adequate.

Our caterers (we're having an indian buffet) have offered to do pakoras, bahjis and somosas as canapes for no extra (I haggled hard!) so we're going wiht this, but if they hadn't done this, we'd have gine dne the nuts and crisps route as everyone will have had lunch, and the meal is late afternoon as opposed to evening.

HTH

LB xx

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

What about a half-cheat idea for nibbles (as you will have enough to sort out without worrying about tiny pieces of food!).

Perhaps a few boxes of mini brownie squares, mini rolls, millionaires shortbread and flapjacks from the likes of Sainburys or Morrisons, they are usually 3 for 2 or 2 for £2. It could be a afternoon tea-style thing. In Morrisons, you can also order sandwich platters, which are a selection of sarnies cut into little triangles and served on a tray for a very reasonable price. You could pick them up on the morning (or delegate someone else to).

The above is what we were going to offer our guests after the windmill ceremony, but then decided against it as no one was around to help me because they were all in Portsmouth for my sister's graduation. So we just forked out for the windmill to sort it for us.

Edit: Kharvs idea about sticks and dips trumps the sandwiches. And posh crips. Everyone loves a posh crisp!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedidng in a similar setting and their 'canapes' were trays of cooked mini cocktail sausages, battered prawns, chicken goujons and breaded mozzarella sticks handed round with some mayo and sweet chilli dipping sauce. Really simple and cheap (I think they were like 'party packs' from Asda that you just throw in the oven), not posh and fitted in really well.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

You can also buy pre-made mini vol-au-vent cases and things and fill them with things like egg mayo or coronation chicken, which you can have made up a couple of days before and kept in the fridge.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics