Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2024 Hampshire

Cancelled wedding to elope instead

Sarena, 18 of August of 2024 at 22:14 Posted on Planning 0 1
Me and fiancé decided to cancel our wedding on November but we are still in a very good position in our relationship. Reason that we have to cancel it is that both of our family can’t attend due to distance + financial issues on their side. We want to get married here in UK and both our families live abroad. Aside from that, we also had issues with our group of friends to the point that we are questioning about the genuineness of friendship. We both see no reason to spend £10000 in a wedding just for “friends” that we just met recently and no assurance if they are going to be our friends forever. We’d rather spend that money on our dream honeymoon which is we both agreed on. We are still getting married in an earlier date this October but just with 12 guests. I’m thinking of something like elopement. We already announced the cancellation but I didn’t mention that we have a really small wedding happening. I’m still searching for a small function/dining room that can host small wedding like ours. Sometimes i feel sad about the £2000 deposit that we lost but i felt more at peace. Me and fiancé agreed that this is the best thing to do. Losing £2000 really hurts me since I am really money savvy but we just see it as a life lesson. Atleast we didn’t lose £10000 and regret it later on. Me and FH are still so happy.

1 replies

Latest activity by Krina, 24 of August of 2024 at 08:00
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Well done for not getting caught up in the 'sunk cost' fallacy - I know so many people who push ahead with planning their £10-£15,000 wedding that they no longer want because 'we can't afford to lose the deposit'. Which makes no sense. Because you either lose £2,000 and then have the wedding you want, or you lose £10,000 on a wedding you don't want! It's so hard to stand against the pressure to have the big wedding, but it's 100% worthwhile to have the wedding that you want.

If you want something small and simple, your best option might be to book the ceremony at your local registry office or place of worship and follow up with a reception meal in a private room at a pub or restaurant - for the kind of numbers you are talking about, you should be able to order off the full menu, especially if you order the meals a couple of days in advance. So no worries about which dish will be most popular with your guests as they can order what they like! When we were planning our wedding - which was originally for 30 - we found that a lot of small wedding packages in wedding venues were not an awful lot cheaper than if we'd been hosting a much larger number. So we booked a room in a local pub (with lovely gardens) for our reception (church wedding ceremony) and they only charged for the cost of meals/drinks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics