Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Curious October 2021 Hampshire

Can’t afford the weeding??

Pauline, 6 of July of 2021 at 08:05 Posted on Planning 1 6
Hi there

As the time to pay all the remaining wedding expenses approaches I’m becoming more and more stressed that we can’t afford it.
We were supposed to save up for it but due to family circumstances over the last couple of months we saved hardly anything.
So as of today it looks like we won’t be able to afford it unless we borrow money of family/get a loan to cover the costs. If feels wrong, and gives me a great deal of anxiety.
What would you do in my position- reschedule for a later date, probably next year or go ahead and maybe give up some of the luxuries ie. different reception venue, reducing the number of guests, no DJ etc?

6 replies

Latest activity by Dawn, 25 of June of 2023 at 22:33
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    If you reschedule will you lose any money? Also will you be able to save the money in the time leading up to the new date?
    Would your families be happy to help pay for the last bits, a bit like a wedding gift? Have you asked for gifts or money for your wedding? Without being cheeky but you may get money as gifts which will help pay off bits.

Are there bits of the wedding which haven’t been paid for which aren’t needed that you could cancel? If you’ve got a sweet table for example, that could go. Flowers could be scaled down. DJ and dance floor could be a Spotify playlist. Decorating the venue could be scrapped. Wedding favours and table centre pieces.Could you go through your whole list and see if you could do it cheaper or do you actually need it. I’m not having a photographer, order of services, name cards, bridesmaid flowers. My wedding cake has been gifted to me but originally I was getting one from a supermarket and adding my own topper. Ive made all my centre pieces, stationary etc.
    It’s a tough one. I hope the family are ok and whatever you decide you have the best day
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would either postpone or simplify. However special your wedding is, it is still only one day. It really isn't worth saddling yourself with debt for it! And you can have a wonderful time without having to spend loads.

If possible, look at simplifying and going ahead on your original date - as others have said, lots of things that people have at weddings are really not necessary. Otherwise, postpone, but make sure you set a budget and a savings plan and stick to it, so you don't end up having to postpone again!

• Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I would reduce the guest list, simplify the food and drink and decorations. Or if you know you can save the money by next year, borrow from family and pay them back monthly with the money you would have been saving. My fiancé was adamant our wedding wasn’t coming out of our savings so he did make us save, I would have spent it if he wasn’t so strict about it 🙈
  • Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    Make your own cake tower out the little cakes you love the most - mince pies etc

• F
    Beginner July 2022 Nevada
    Frank ·
    • Hide content

I just got my wedding last month and also thought that getting a loan for a wedding is a bad idea.
    But we decided to take it anyway because other options were to postpone the wedding for another year ( we wanted the exact date ) or go cancel it altogether. We took a wedding loan for 5k and it was exactly what we needed, we also managed to cover it all up from the money we got from relatives and friends on the wedding day.

• D
    Beginner August 2023 Tyne & Wear
    Dawn ·
    • Hide content
    Stressed all booked invitations are out but can't afford it as work has stopped. What can I do?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics