Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2021

Can't agree on how to get married!

SunnyPinkStationery97560, 8 of January of 2020 at 13:48 Posted on Planning 0 1

Help! We've reached an impasse.

After seven years together, back in October I asked my GF to marry me, and she said "yes definitely". It's what we've both wanted for many years, but now the time is right.

It'll be second-time around for both of us (we're both pushing 50), we're both extremely happy and have both known for many years that we have got it right this time Smiley smile

However.

We cannot agree on HOW to get married. We both have very different ideas as to what constitutes a 'small wedding.'

I really don't want a wedding. I want a marriage. I've already had one big wedding 25 years ago, and I'm old-fashioned enough to think that they're once-in-a-lifetime deals and I would be being deceitful to all the guests that came to the first one. Sorry, but that's how I feel. You only get one Big Day as far as I'm concerned. So I would much rather she and I just popped into the local registry office with a couple of witnesses and had an amazing fortnight's honeymoon somewhere.

She, however, wants wedding dresses, bridesmaids, flowers, pretty gardens, photographer, sit-down meal for everyone...

By way of compromise, we've agreed to keep it small - just very close family, and no friends. So that means 12 people including bride and groom. It hardly seems worthwhile having a 'wedding' for 12 people who are all family. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Whenever the subject arises, we get upset and go off in respective huffs. It is a very important matter to both of us, but in different ways. All the trappings of a wedding day are not important to me - but they are to her. In more than seven years together, we've never had an issue that's caused us so much stress. We cannot find a compromise that makes sense.

So, do I just cave-in, let her have her way and go with the flow, knowing that I will not enjoy a 12-person wedding day?

ANY advice on what to do gratefully received.

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 11 of January of 2020 at 19:26
  • R
    Beginner
    RomanticYellowStationery22273 ·
    • Hide content

Hello SunnyPink! My fiance and I are struggling with a similar issue - except that it is a first for both of us and I am definitely the pro wedding one in our case! So I'm probably not the best person to answer Smiley smile I do understnad though, as after many discussions we have reached a similar compromise - keep it really small, with only family.

I do appreciate where you are coming from, but as I keep trying to explain to my fiance, women are molded our whole lives to want and need a special wedding. I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it is a sad fact of life I think. Even I, a pretty unconventional woman by many standards, i was always a tomboy, i hate shopping, I have more friends who are boys than girlfriends i have always found them easier company.

Yet i desperately (and reluctantly admit to myself) i want my big white wedding. I want to be the bride. I want the attention. It is pathetic, but it IS.

Bear in mind that in so many ways women are invisibly and visibly shortchanged in so many ways. Globally (and these statistics are approximations, but feel free to check them and you get the gist) we make up 51 per cent of the population, we make up 83 per cent of single parents. We do 66 per cent of the work, yet earn 11 per cent of salaries and own 1 per cent of the land.

I can't speak for your fiancee, I don't know her reasons for wanting a big wedding.

But aside from the cultural and unavoidable pressure we have all our lives that make us want this so bad, what's wrong with sharing your big day with a few loved ones?

Keep it small and personal. tailor it for both of you and not everyone else. think of personal gifts like https://www.underluckystars.com/ and DIY your own flowers, food, it doesn't have to cost arm and a leg. (ours will cost a little finger!) I hope that helps. x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

For a start, either it's ok for you to get married a second time, in which case there is nothing wrong with celebrating it, or it isn't ok, in which case you shouldn't be doing it at all! So I don't think the 'we can't have a big wedding because we've been married before' argument is logical. This is about the two of you and your new life together - after all, you can hardly keep the fact that you've got married a secret after the wedding!

What is it that you 'won't enjoy' about a '12-person wedding day'. Would you feel differently about having a 12-person birthday celebration or wedding anniversary celebration? It does sound like a small wedding to me, and I can understand your fiancee wanting to do something to mark the day.

I think you need to work out exactly why you are so uncomfortable with the idea of celebrating your wedding. Especially, you need to make sure that you don't have any unresolved guilt over getting married again - sorry if that sounds blunt, but if this is an issue for you and you go into marriage without resolving it, you will face a whole heap of trouble.

Sending you best wishes for a happy resolution x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics