Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2015

Cant find bridesmaid dresses!

SunnyIvoryDecor62, 13 of July of 2014 at 14:31 Posted on Planning 0 7

Having troubles! My colour is teal and i cant find bridesmaid dresses in a suitable style or price that i like! Went shopping recently and found a beautiful dress-sweetheart neck, knee length, but for 4 dresses would cost us £550, i really didnt want to spend that much! Worried about using online websites, what if the quality isnt so good, what about import taxes?! Wedding is April 2015. Help, suggestions?

7 replies

Latest activity by SunnyIvoryDecor62, 13 of July of 2014 at 15:36
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a style in mind?

knee length

full length

halter

strapless

sleeve

blackless

full back

lace

satin

chiffon

flared

fitter

etc...

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Import taxes are a pain in the backside because whether or not you get charged them and the amount that they charge is entirely down to Customs, based on whether or not they decide to open your parcel and how much they think the items are worth. That said, I got my BM dresses from the US first time around for £50 each plus p&p (about another £20) and the import tax was £42 for the whole package, including UPS admin fee. So in total they cost me £162 for two, rather than the £360 (£180 each) that they would have cost if I'd bought them in the UK.

Timescales shouldn't be a problem - say 12 weeks for delivery max (much less if you go for a more expensive shipping option), plus allowing time for holding in customs, you should be fine as long as you order within the next couple of months. The key in terms of quality is to do your research - make sure the site and seller are reputable - and make sure you measure your BMs properly. If you know anyone who is good with sewing (my Nana used to be a tailor and seamstress), it's a good idea to get them to do the measurements. Remember to factor in alteration costs into your budget - just in case.

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    SunnyIvoryDecor62 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Madamred.

General style i was thinking-knee length, fitted around the bust, slightly flared from bust down, dont want fitted around the body. No satin or anything shiny! Probably a chiffony type material.

this sort of thing:

http://www.angeldress.co.uk/chiffon-a-line-one-shoulder-natural-waist-knee-length-sleeveless-bridesmaid-dress-p369166.html

but not sure cost wise whether this is a bargain-once paid for 4 dresses, delivery charges, import tax etc...

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    SunnyIvoryDecor62 ·
    • Hide content

Is the link above

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

How much is each dress and shipping? They don't look like obviously evening dresses, which could mean that if it got picked up by Customs (they don't open & check every parcel) then chances are the import tax wouldn't be as much as it would be if you were ordering a ballgown or something.

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    SunnyIvoryDecor62 ·
    • Hide content

4 dresses would work out around £230 total. They look very similar to the ones i liked on from the bridal shop (£550 total). Looks like delivery/shipping would be free actually. So surely any import tax on top would still make it cheaper. I guess my main worry is, what if they dont fit as nicely or quality isnt as good-although lots of great reviews on the website.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

How much do you want to spend? I've been looking at dresses on forherandforhim.com torn between this and the multiway dresses from in one clothing.

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    SunnyIvoryDecor62 ·
    • Hide content

Ideally £50 each, realistically no more than £80 each.

I think i would feel more comfortable ordering from a company based in the UK, but what if they dont do what i'm looking for!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics