Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pookie8911
Beginner April 2017

Can't get past the cost

Pookie8911, 13 of May of 2016 at 20:59 Posted on Planning 0 15

So, we are getting married end of April next year (less than a year, eek!)....

My Mum lives abroad, so I went browsing for a dress with her in November, as I wanted my first experience to be with her, knowing Mum won't be around when I buy my dress. I also tried on a few dresses at the Manchester Wedding Fayre in February (coincidentally, one I tried on was the same as one I tried in the States)...

I've been putting off and putting off 'properly' going to look for a dress. I've been telling myself it's because I'm trying to get to target at Slimming World first. Really, it's because I cannot face spending so much money on a dress. I spend probably about £100 max on clothes per year, so don't really do 'expense'. OH and my Mum have told me I'm only going to do it once, and it's my wedding day, it doesn't matter how much THE dress costs, I buy it. But I just can't get my head around it! The dress I absolutely fell in love with in the US is a Maggie Sottero dress, and know I'm looking at about £**** and just can't face it even though the dress is absolutely b-e-a-utiful...

Am I just being ridiculous? Any advice?

15 replies

Latest activity by CantwaittobeMrsDavies17, 20 of May of 2016 at 16:49
  • R
    Dedicated July 2017
    RomanticBrownFlowers354 ·
    • Hide content

I, like you, don't invest much in fashion and spend probably about £200 on clothes in a year at the most. I bought my dress in a sample sale and it was reduced from £2355 and I got it for £1000. I couldn't bare to spend the original amount and I don't think I could have done it but the savings I made was enough to make me forget about the fact it is £1000 on one dress. Which Maggie is it? You could find it 2nd hand? Wedding dresses obviously only get worn once and have great care taken over them so 2nd hand is a very good option.

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    SAL127 ·
    • Hide content

Same here, didn't want to spend a fortune on a dress for one day so I also got mine at a sample sale. It was brand new, never tried on and half price. Have a look to see if there is an outlet store near you or within travelling distance, it's definitely worth it. There were dresses there in perfect condition, tried only a few times or not at all and some that were up to £1500 on sale for about £500 since they were last season styles or odd sizes (which could be fixed with alterations...) so definitely worth a look. You could even call ahead to see if they have the dress you're looking at and see if their price is more reasonable for you. Ultimately, it is your wedding day so if you can afford it go for it, but being happy with your choice is the most important thing.

• Beckalina
    Beginner April 2017
    Beckalina ·
    • Hide content

I thought I'd be the same and originally set myself a £1,000 budget with an absolute maximum limit of £1,200.

Then i I tried on "the dress" and didn't even ask the price before getting my card out. When she told me it was £1,600 I didn't flinch because I wanted this dress so much.

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

I got mine on a day the bridal shop had a 20% discount so spent £1800 rather than the £2200, and got 50% off any veil or head piece. I originally only wanted to spend £1500 ..... But couldn't say no to the dress for "just" £300. You hopefully only get married once and certainly only live once, so spoil yourself!

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

My friend got an immaculate Maggie Sottero dress second hand for £300. Try and find second hand if you aren't comfortable with the cost.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a store that sold discontinued stock, and got a dress for $699USD instead of $2200USD. I would never have parted with $2200USD. My alternative dress was a J Crew dress - and J Crew often have discounts.

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi. ?

I'm exactly the same as you and probably spend £100 or under on clothes a year.

I absolutely fell in love with a Mori Lee dress but just couldn't bring myself to spend £1100 on a dress (plus my budget was only £500 anyway.)

I searched and searched online for inspiration but I just wasn't drawn to any in the same way.

Then luckily one day when looking at Ebay i found a bridal shop window display model of my dream dress. I snapped that gorgeous sucker up for £350 in the end. ?

So, i would highly recommend looking around because sometimes you can find a fantastic bargain.

Out of interest would you mind sharing the name of the dress you've fallen in love with. I absolutely adore drooling over pretty gowns.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I hated the thought of spending £1000+ on a wedding dress I would only wear once.

I budgeted £300 for my dress and started looking at outlets and off the peg stores. I then found my dress (La Prima Bridal) at the Wed2B Outlet in Bolton for £450 - was the style I wanted, but was just a little too big - but I now have movement for alterations and haven't spend an absolute bomb.

Might be worth looking at off the peg.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

You could have a ring round local shops and make yourself a list of who stocks your dress and whether they have sample sales and when. I bought the shop sample of my dress for 400 instead more than 3 times that to order one in. Then stalk their Facebook/websites watching for sales. It may also we worth travelling to outlets if they stock the dress you are wanting. Meanwhile keep checking as well for your dress second hand?

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

I'm like you in struggling to accept the cost. I kind of wish I could get past that, but I couldn't... and I ended up buying a Justin Alexander dress from a charity shop at £60, which is gorgeous, but probably wouldn't be my first choice of dress. That said, I've thought about it and I'm happy with having a lovely dress that isn't my first choice, and saving a lot of money. I just have to avoid Pinterest dress pictures now! So it can be done. However, I didn't actually have my heart set on a specific dress. If I had, it would have been a different story... like the photographer! Initially we were going to ge a cheap one for a few hundred £... But then I discovered one whose photos I just fell in love with... But he charges £1500. My fiancé and I had a chat and agreed to go for it. I NEVER thought I'd spend so much on a photographer but I felt I'd regret it if I didn't. So I think you can tell what's important to you and where your money should be spent. For me, it was the venue, food and photographer, which are far more than I anticipated spending. I saved on my dress and BM dresses as don't have my heart set on anything specific. For you, if you think you'd regret not getting that specific dress... Strongly consider going for it. Do have a really good search firs though - online on eBay and Preloved and Bride2Bride, but also in random charity shops... you really do never know! Keep trying on other dresses too though - you never know, you might stumble upon something you like more, that's cheaper! Good luck! Smiley smile

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

It is a hard one, especially if you have found one you love. I would do what others have said and call round shops, looks all over the web and see if one is pre-owned or going into sale.

I originally planned in £600 for a dress, but I feel in love with mine and just couldn't bring myself to get any other dress so ended up with one that's £1000.

• Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies! I'm going to go to Wed2B and try on some 'non-designer' dresses - I've only tried on dresses that are >£1000 so far, and maybe need to try on something less expensive and see if I feel any different (the quality of the Maggie Sottero and Essense dresses was so top notch).

The dress I absolutely love was the Maggie Sottero Melitta - photos below when I tried it on in November (I've lost about another stone since then, and would also have cups sewn in to the dress for a bit of boob boost!)...

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I tried on a few really nice dressed at Wed2B in Bolton, but ended up getting mine from Stella's in West Didsbury, which I can highly recommend! £500 including alterations!

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Wow!

Pookie8911 i can see why you have fallen in love with this dress. It is beautiful and looks stunning on you. ?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

You do look fantastic in that dress. It is really, really lovely.

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning! That is a beautiful dress (sorry if this isn't helpful lol)

I keep being drawn to Maggie dresses online (this one is one of them!) and am really excited about going dress shopping and trying some on. I think as others have said you decide what you are comfortable with spending more/less on as it differs for every couple. I have a ballpark figure in my mind, which is based on my online searches of dresses I like so I've kind of fitted it around that to be honest. It may be a different story when I try them on though.....! The suggestions about looking around, in charity shops, second hand are all good ones though as long as you have the time to do it

I would say focus on how the dress makes you feel as sometimes you cant put a price on that

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics