Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2007

car part exchange question

bingy, 12 of June of 2009 at 10:26 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

We're about to go shopping for a new car, as yet undecided whether to go for something brand new or a couple of years old - depends on the offers available! We have a car to part exchange, it's 8 years old so we don't qualify for scrappage unfortunately but it's only done 55,000 miles and has an MOT till February. The only problem is the window on the drivers side doesn't work, the motor has gone. The garage are quoting us £120 for a new motor, plus labour to get it fixed. Are we best off getting it fixed before we try and palm it off part exchange it or will it not matter?

Any other advice about part exchange very welcome - new territory for me!

16 replies

Latest activity by Victor, 13 of June of 2024 at 16:11
  • Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Nah....wouldn't bother getting it fixed, they only give it a cursey once over they've never even bothered starting any of mine up to be honest let alone testing the windows!

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't bother either. You won't get much for your car at all. They always offer rock bottom prices on part ex. Or you could ask a few places how much you'll get for the car and weigh up whether it makes a diference or not. I doubt it will. They'll get the car serviced and tidied up before they re-sell it anyway.

• B
    Beginner April 2007
    bingy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Hugo Brambles and KB3, that is good to know. I won't mention it when we're discussing part ex and hopefully they won't notice.

Current list price for the car for private sale is only £1000 anyway so wasn't really expecting to get much. When my parents last part exchanged a car the minimum the garage offered was £1K, do these sorts of deals still exist?

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the car, the resale value and also the showroom. I'd hazard a guess at £5-600 being the norm and would always try and sell private first to get the best possible price but understand why some people don't want that hassle.

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I agree not to bother getting the window fixed - I doubt they'll check it before accepting it as part ex and it's not an MOT failure! I don't think there's any minimum part ex values but you would get more selling it privately but also more hassle, take longer etc. It's worth getting a part ex quote, seeing what your car might sell for on auto trader and maybe giving it a try if the gap is quite large. Low mileage does count for a lot and 8 years old is hardly ancient!

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

The alternative is, if you fancy a Nissan (has to be one of the UK built models), you can get the £2000 scrappage deal on cars 8 - 10 years old with them...

www.nissan-offers.co.uk

• B
    Beginner April 2007
    bingy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? will check that out. We just need a car with a bigger boot - imminent arrival of baby No2 is causing a 'space in car' headache!

• E
    Beginner April 2007
    Easter ·
    • Hide content

Part exchange offers aren't always that bad - in March I got £1600 for an 8 year old Clio with 60,000 miles on the clock.

I wouldn't bother with getting the window fixed either.

• Emmark
    Beginner September 2008
    Emmark ·
    • Hide content

My friend has just part exchanged her car and it didnt even start.

The garage she took it to had an offer of minimum price to part Ex any car was £1300...so she got £1300 for a car that had to be towed to the garage!

• B
    Beginner April 2007
    bingy ·
    • Hide content

Emmark and Easter - encouraging!

I'm hoping salesmen will be so desperate to sell at all that we'll get some good deals - fingers crossed!

• Morrigan
    Beginner July 2008
    Morrigan ·
    • Hide content

Also probably worth checking out Mitsubishi as they're doing something like Nissan but for cars older than 5 years.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I'd sell it on e Bay, and put the window prob in the listing. I sold my Golf on there earlier this year and the bloke was a smoker so wanted to get it fixed, and just bought a motor for it, also off e Bay!

Buy my car, I'm trying to sell it ?

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

I also have a positive part exchange story...last month we part ex'd our 8 year old Fiat Punto...which had a huge dent in the side (thank you person who hit it then drove off and daft H who didn't notice for...who knows how long!), a different key for the drivers door, passenger door and ignition (thanks to people breaking in to it twice!), had done 100,000 miles, had an exhaust that was fitted a bit dodgily and rattled if you went over 60, won't pass it's MOT next year because of an undiagnosed problem with the engine not being able to reach certain revs and the power steering had broken.... for £400. We never would have gotten that much privately! This was even after we told them about these problems (well, most of them!)

I very much enjoyed telling my mum and dad how much we'd got for it given that a couple of months ago they part ex'd their 4 year old Audi A6 (which did need a new engine) for £250!

Good luck

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Don't bother spending money on it.

We're trying to part ex our almost 10 year old peugeot and the part ex price has varied from £600 to £2000. It boils down to what they offer you for the car plus what they offer to take off the car you're buying IYSWIM. Some dealers have been very picky saying they want to see the car when you know all they'll do is sent it to auction, they're just looking for a way to get out of taking much off the car you're buying.

We're looking at £10k cars and saying we have £8k plus our peugeot and see if we can negotiate from there. That could be why we're still looking though ?

• Buttons
    Beginner August 2006
    Buttons ·
    • Hide content

We recently exchanged our 55 plate peugeot (sport model) with almost 60k on the clock (we do high millege) and I wanted £4k, they said they couldn't give me that and gave me £3k, which was okay.

I never tell them what I want, just say well what can you give me and take it from there.

Cx

Beginner January 2007
    *Pipster* ·
    • Hide content

We part ex-d 2 cars for 1 (H now has a lease car so we only wanted to 'own' 1 car) back in December and got a reasonable price. One was a 4.5 year old VW Bora that had 110k on the clock and had 2 scrapes, the other a 7 year old Seat Ibiza that had lowish mileage for it's age but the air con wasn't working. So I def wouldn't bother getting work done before you part ex.

We negotiated on both the part ex price and the price of the car we bought, but got more than we hoped/expected for the part ex.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics