Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsKHbutterfly
Rockstar September 2014

Card box/baskets?

MrsKHbutterfly, 11 of May of 2014 at 22:21 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hello lovelies,

I was wondering what you have all done/doing about card boxes. Although I like the postbox style it really isn't me, and the plain cardboard ones you decorate yourself don't do it for me either (am being picky I know lol) but also don't want to spend stupid money on something that won't be used again (like the majority of the decoration stuff!) so have been looking at the proper wooden engraved keep sake boxes.....

was just wondering what you lovely lot have gone with, and if you have any flashes for inspiration? I have just spent an age on Pinterest, Amazon, eBay and etsy lol xx

21 replies

Latest activity by IGB2B, 12 of May of 2014 at 20:20
  • C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

I've brought a wicker basket and lined it with material. I've made a 'cards' sign which I'm going to peg on to some twine, which I'll some how tie to the lid. I brought some mini pegs too. I can't seem to load a photo sorry, hope my description helps! I didn't want to buy a box to throw away and I can re use this, not sure for what though, maybe to keep wrapping paper and birthday cards in!

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

I've ordered a sack like this from etsy...

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

Pic isn't showing? Basically a hessian sack with our details on front! Search 'wedding card sack' on etsy!

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

We decided to receive our cards in person, so that we could say thank you as they were given to us.

We toyed with the idea of having a post box (nothing against them!), but decided not to. I think it was being brought up with the principle of opening a card and present in front of your aunties and uncles and immediately hugging and thanking them. Whilst we can't open and read them all during the wedding (wow, that would take a long time), we thought we could at least take them in person and give them a kiss.

We'll take them all early on in the day (during drinks reception), and lock them away in a car boot securely. We'll put the mums in charge of taking handfuls to the car, LOL.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

:/ I'd like to think you know your wedding guests well enough that they wouldn't steel from you.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Haha bless you, that wasn't a dig, it just concern me as i thought you meant your guests.

I must admit though, I made our card box from a box our wall post box came in ( yep I was sad enough to buy an outside post box just for our RSVP's so in the event I wasn't in wen the postie came the dogs wouldn't eat them) and my OH did say the slit is big enough to stuck your hand in and take from it. My response was 'well you let me know who you thinks going to do that an I'll let them know they can't come' he soon shut up because e couldn't think of anyone who's ever stolen from us or would who's invited to the wedding!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we've got a sack too Smiley smile

presuming it's the same one, here's a pic

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

We bought a plain wooden one of eBay and painted it ourselves to match our theme...

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

I think I'll probably use our picnic basket....its wicker with a white and flowery lining, think it'll do the job nicely!

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! Some really good ideas!! I saw the sacks and was going to go for one of those, but I showed my best friend and she said that it might be a bit big, if you ladies have had one, how big are they? I really do like them and although I wouldn't use it again, it could be folded up nice and put in the memory box......

thanks again xx

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

We had a sack too (ours went on a mini wooden sled because it was winter/Christmas time). It worked out about the right size – one thing to think about is it won’t stand up on its own (unless your sacks are much fancier than ours!) so make sure you’ve got a cardboard box or similar to put in the bottom, makes it easier for people to put things in.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I hadone made and it wasn't too expensive.

And I decorated this one

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

I would measure my sack for you (ooer missus) but it's currently somewhere among the pile of stuff in the 'wedding corner' of my bedroom and would take ages to find Smiley laugh from what I remember when it arrived, it isn't huge - around the size of a very large carrier bag. I'd been wondering about how to get it to stand up - was thinking spray starch might work?

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    LucyLastic ·
    • Hide content

I have a vintage suitcase, with hessian embroidered card sign, plus luggage tag thank you message x

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

these are gorgeous! can I ask where you had it made? xx

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

We managed to pick up a wooden chest for £20 from a little second hand shop. OH is sanding it and painting (paint was a bargain, unwanted large sample pot of dulux in the exact shade we wanted for 50p).

I am going to decorate it up after using my cameo cutting machine.

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

Seconded alyj66! Would like to know myself. They're lovely x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies, here's the link for the first one;

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ARicherDesigns?ref=pr_shop_more

It is from a canadian seller on etsy but I didn't pay any import tax. You may need up to 6 weeks for an order because of the shipping time but it was well worth the wait

the second box was from one of those sell everything want everything shops so I can't help with that one, I was just lucky.

And thank you Smiley smile

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

This is ours. I bought a cheap new wooden box from ebay, burnt some writing on the outside with a pyrography pen, waxed it and then decorated the inside. We'll use it for a keepsake box after the wedding.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

We didn't bother at all. There was a table spare at the hotel where we had our reception so people popped their cards and pressies on there. Easy peasy. And free.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics