Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2018

Carer at a Wedding

LuxuriousBlueConfetti863, 11 of May of 2017 at 21:20 Posted on Planning 0 4

We have invited my future Husbands Aunt to our wedding, and we knew there would be a couple of extra considerations for her as she has MS and is in a wheel chair. She has recently taken a slight turn and has been finding everything a little harder, so she has asked if her carer can come and help her at the Wedding. Obviously this is not a problem.

The wedding is a 3 hour drive from home, so it will be a hard trip for her, but she is adamant that she wants to come, which we are happy about. Her Carer is someone she has had coming to help her for a number of years.

The issue we have is that numbers are very tight, and we have friends that we haven't managed to invite due to the number restrictions at the venue. The venue have said that we have to include the carer in the wedding numbers if she joins us at the tables, but not if she eats separately to the wedding party.

My future MIL thinks it is rude to ask her to eat separately to us. However, I was thinking it would be a nice break for her, as in reality, she is at work and would probably rather be somewhere else than at a wedding with a load of people she doesn't know.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or if you could give me your opinion? Thanks

4 replies

Latest activity by Montysmum, 14 of May of 2017 at 18:27
  • V
    Beginner September 2017
    VegasBride2017 ·
    • Hide content

I would ask her how she wants to approach it 'from a professional point of view' just mention that you are not sure of the 'etiquette' seeing as she is 'on duty'. If she says she would like to join you then I can't see how you can't let her really, it's a small gesture that will mean the world to a very poorly lady x

• Catlady28
    Beginner March 2017
    Catlady28 ·
    • Hide content

As someone who works within the care sector I would take this as a work day and would only expect to sit with the wedding party if the person in my care needed help with their meal. I would not expect to have a meal for myself though. x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I have photographed weddings where carers have been present. It is the carers duty to be with the client, so my view is that it's not appropriate to ask the carer to eat away from the client. Either seat them both in another room or both in the reception room, together.
    The lady may need some assistance with eating, drinking or going to the toilet.

• Montysmum
    Beginner March 2018
    Montysmum ·
    • Hide content

As a carer I attended a wedding with someone I supported at the time. His family made me feel welcome, like any other guest (but no booze for me!) and I ate with the person I supported (he did need assistance at the time). If you are doing a "day out" you don't really expect a proper break, its all part and parcel of the job and being out is more fun than a normal day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics