Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MischiefMumma
Beginner August 2014

Cash only at the venue bar. Rude?

MischiefMumma, 3 of February of 2014 at 20:40 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi ladies,

I'm after some advice, our venue has informed me (after I'd emailed to ask luckily) that they don't accept debit or credit cards behind the bar except for people who are stopping at the venue, they can charge their drinks to their room and settle up in the morning. The nearest ATM is in the neighbouring town, a good 10 minute drive away. How do I tell my guests this without sounding rude "Hey, you're invited to our wedding but don't forget to bring a wallet full of cash to pay for your drinks!!" My mum reckons I should put something in the invite but I think it sounds rude. Plus they've already gone to print and you cant really fit anything else in there!! What would you do, or if you've been in a similar situation what did you do?

27 replies

Latest activity by pbn, 4 of February of 2014 at 16:15
  • Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

I think I'd have to stick a note in them saying please note that the venue bar does not have facilities for debit/credit cards

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! We pay by card quite a lot so would rather know before hand, and wouldn't find it rude mentioning in this way!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Have you got a wedding website? I would put it in there if so.

guests need to know IMO. I never carry cash and expect everywhere to take cards- it's 2014ffs! I would be buggered if I diddnt know to get cash out first.

surely they have a pdq for guests to pay their room bills? Could your guests setting up a tab be an answer?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Exactly as TT says. Given the distance of the nearest ATM you have no choice but to let your guests know.

TT's suggested wording perfect and simple.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Def put a little note on website or with invitations. We only ever use card & have been caught out a few times where places only accept cash!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    Everlong2013 ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely pop a note in your invites! This is from a person who never carries cash!!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whats PDQ mean?

I always pay by card rather than cash too, I just didn't want it to come across as rude to the guests. Inserts it is then! Thanks ladies!!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Agree that I'd definitely want to know. Could be a very dry day otherwise!

• Moschops
    Beginner March 2014
    Moschops ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be more rude not to mention it to be honest. I would have thought most people would expect to be ableto pay by debit/credit card so won't be carrying much cash.

I would put an extra little note in your invites just saying that unfortunately your venue runs a cash only bar for non-residents.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Pdq- the card payment machine. Sorry that's an old throwback from my retail days!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

They said they wont do cash back at the reception as they wont have enough cash behind reception which is understandable but they didn't say anything about having a tab.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

We put a note on our info sheets, as ours is a cash bar (they can pay by card if they set up a tab, but it's a PITA)

I think it's always a good idea to make sure people know they can't rely on cards as it's not very common these days

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

If I was a guest I would need to know to bring cash, I never have much on me x

• excitedbridetobe2015
    Beginner June 2015
    excitedbridetobe2015 ·
    • Hide content

My venue is the same and I will be putting on the invites that's its a cash only bar, debit / credit cards not accepted, in bold capital letters!! lol

I would hate for my guests to find this out upon ordering their drinks, would be so embarrassing and I imagine they'd be pretty pi**ed at us for not saying anything !

It's not rude, they have to pay for their drinks somehow, I think its pretty rude to expect that they wouldn't.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MeV ·
    • Hide content

Definitely need to let everyone know, otherwise as others have stated you'll probably end up with lots of guests with no cash to buy drinks.

As for it being rude, you wouldn't feel rude letting guests know other important information about the venue would you??

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Is want to know, we've added it to the invitations.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

On a further information sheet with the invitations with lots of other info - hotels/taxi numbers/parking etc

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is a cash only bar aswell, it's in big letters on the website and we will be telling people. Nowadays so much is done with cards, contactless payment etc that very few people carry any substantial amount of cash on them (it took my OH and I 10 minutes this morning trying to scrape £2 together for our daughters clarinet lesson!!)

As a guest, I would be really annoyed if it hadn't been mentioned

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Jeeze I'm old fashioned (you already knew that!) If I was going to a wedding I'd specifically go and withdraw cash the day before, for that reason. So would MF.

Those of you who use only card - do you pay for two drinks at a time with it?

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

We are in a very similar situation.

Cash bar in a venue in the middle of nowhere. We are going to make it very clear on the invites and website and prob remind people a few days before.

I'm someone who never has any cash and would hate for it to ruin peoples enjoyment of the day when it is so easy to pop in a note.

Not at all rude - i'd find it irritating if I was not warned before going to a wedding.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Definitely put a note on the invites. I put a note to tell our guets that the bar accepts cash and card payments (although I put that there simply just in case anyone was expecting a free bar).

I'm rubbish at carrying cash so I'd definitely want to know.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

If it's too late to put a note on the invites, then you should start spreading the word with your friends and family, and ask them to pass the message along to others.

Or as you recieve replies from people accepting their invitations, you could repky and then let them know. Thus acknowledging that you received their reply, and helping to spread the word along.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Not rude at all, well planned and informative.

Yep do what has been suggested and put a card in.

Maybe put a sign on the bar too then people can dash off and get cash just incase.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely put a note in the invitations to be honest. Something along the lines of 'Please note, the venue does not have a cash machine and unfortunately the venue cannot facilitate debit/credit card payments'

• P
    Beginner April 2014
    pbn ·
    • Hide content

My venue is cash only too and unfortunately I forgot to put a note in the evening invites, managed it on the daytime ones! Now feel doubly rude for inviting people and then having to seperately mention they have to pay for drinks.. awkward...

In our day invites we just had a line on the inserts saying "we will have a cash bar in the evening, unfortunately the venue has no credit card facilities". Noone has mentioned it so I'm hoping they're not offended but equally hoping they've noticed it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics