Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

'Casual' wedding dress...

Skeptical78, 3 January, 2013 at 12:07 Posted on Planning 0 4

Me again! Sorry- I only tend to post when I'm at work, so I'm bothering the forums quite a lot today...

I was having another bout of wedding dress paranoia over Christmas. The fact is, traditional, corset-meringue dresses look best on me, I can't escape that. As much as I wanted my boho-chic, loose floaty dress, it's just not going to happen. I was stressing out over ways I could make a 'formal' wedding dress look less glam / sophisticated / elegant (I am NONE of those things) and my future sis-in-law suggested bunging a cardigan over the top. I was initially sceptical, but then found some pics which I think look great and just a *little* bit grunge ('specially with my trainers), which is kinda cool...:

Sorry, ignore old 'trout pout' in the photo above; can't stand her but I love the frock..grrrrr..!

Did anyone else have a full-on cardi with their dress? What are your thoughts?

Fanks! ?

4 replies

Latest activity by Skeptical78, 3 January, 2013 at 12:26
  • Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

I love the ballet cardy in the last photo but am unsure. Have you got your dress yet? I wouldn't want anything to detract from the dress. Can you get a 'corset'sytle' with a boho feel?

Thinking something like this:

or:

R xxx

• oneforfxckall
    Beginner November 2014
    oneforfxckall ·
    • Hide content

I feel you! I hate wedding dresses (different stokes for different folks and all that) yet I have the giant boobs that prevent me from anything non-corset like, and I have a lovely collection of lumberjack shirts I am mostly never without, so my best friend was THRILLED when she found this:

However I realise thats not a cardigan, so I found these:

I love the cardigan idea/look, and I think with the right accessories you could DEFINITELY pull off a more grungey look with a 'traditional' dress.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know what you're saying, but I'm not a big 'dress' person, so I'm not too worried about detracting from it. My only worry is the budget- I might be able to get something more bespoke, but I'm trying to keep the cost of the dress down as much as possible. Haven't got my dress yet. It's not really my biggest priority (<--listens for collective *thud* as Hitched masses *faint* on reading this sentence...!! ?)

Thanks for the idea though- I'll investigate- I do quite like the top one! ?

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

I'd never thought of a cardi! It actually looks really nice though, great idea.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha, I LOVE that lumberjack look! Crikey- that takes me back! Sadly, I'm being a bit of a theme Nazi and don't think it'll fit in with 'Great British Seaside'...!

However, the girl with the navy blue cardi- above right- that's EXACTLY the style of dress which suits me best and the cardigan just takes the edge off it looking too glam / traditional. Not sure about the bit of bog-roll stuck to her head though. Love it- thanks for the ideas!! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics