Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

Cat/Dog poo (don't read if you're eating lunch)

Sunset21, 18 of August of 2009 at 14:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

We have a large front garden, it's not separated from the neighbours but both gardens have a picket fence around the entire boundary. Our latch on the gate broke a while back and the neighbour fixed it so that the dog wouldn't get out if it went out the front.

Anyhoo, in the last few days i've picked up two piles of poo. There's been a few cats around of late but it seems like quite a lot of poo for a cat but I'm not an expert so not sure how you'd distinguish cat poo from dog poo IYSWIM. It's only a small dog. I really can't believe the neighbour would knowingly let her dog poo on our lawn, she takes her out for walks regularly and always picks up the mess but H reckons they do let the dog out on the front grass and don't always supervise her.

I've put down the granules that deter cats from using the same spot. Can you get the same sort of stuff to deter dogs? I can't really mention it to the neighbour when i'm not really sure of the facts IYSWIM

WWYD?

10 replies

Latest activity by nutfluff, 19 of August of 2009 at 11:02
  • emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content

If your H has seen the dog unsupervised in the garden get him to go around and mention that they seem to have missed picking up some of their dog's poo when he was out the front and though you've cleared it up now could they keep an eye out in future.

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

I think I would be fuming if it was dog poo. Are you sure it's your neighbours dog? If they deliberately let the dog out knowing it's doing to do it's business (probably on your garden) then I'd be livid and would have to say something. But it's even worse if they actually let it crap on your garden.

I'm sure you can buy stuff from Homebase or somewhere to deter both cats and dogs. We had problems with our neighbours cats (they have about 5) always messing in our back garden or throwing up outside the front doo. It was disgusting. In the end we got one of those sonic deterrents, about £30 from Homebase, and that worked a treat up until recently where they seem to have got used to it and now ignore it. But I think they did one for dogs too.

I would be inclined to keep an eye out to see if you can actually catch what's doing it and then speak to the owner and I'd probably get a deterrent too.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

Not a very nice thing to find in your garden but to be fair to the neighbours they may not realise that their dog has done anything in the garden. Just because you take him/her for a walk and they perform while you are out doesn't mean they won't do any more later. Sometimes my dog is a one or two bag a day dog and sometimes he manages to conjure up five bags worth in a day! If you are reasonably sure it's the neighbours dog you could just mention it along the lines of "I think your dog might have done something in the garden, I've cleared it up but could you just cast a quick eye around when you bring her/him in" - if it was me I wouldn't mind being told at all, I would be embarrassed that my dog had made a mess and I'd missed it.

ETA - in explanation, we pick up our dog's poo in old plasic bags hence he is usually a one or two bag a day dog, not that he fills up two bags a day with poo!! When I am at work sometimes my delightful H sends me texts saying something along the lines of "Just been for a two bag walk!" TMI I think!!?

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

Can you not just make a bit of a joke about it, and mention that you have picked some up. If you havent seen the dog doing it, then it might not be. But..if you make a joke, they may check up on the dog a bit more.

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Stupid Q I know but is there anything stopping you dividing your garden from your neighbours?

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in no way sure if it is the dog, hence my question on whether you could tell the difference between the two types (blimey what a conversation lol!).

I may mention in passing whether they've seen a cat pooing in our garden because I keep finding quite large amounts and maybe that would make them think.

Like I say, I really don't think they'd knowingly let her do her business and not clear up after her. It must have been done at about 6/7 this morning because it was fairly fresh. MrSun gets up earlier than that, i'll get him to check tomorrow morning and then we can narrow down the time of day it's happening.

We're selling our house and it's not going to look very good if people walk up the path and see piles of dog poo lying on the lawn.

• anjumanji
    anjumanji ·
    • Hide content

I always thought cats dug down and pooed and then covered it back up again. My neighbours have two new cats that come into our garden to poo in the flower beds. I caught one in the act the other day and tried shooing it away, but it just sat there insolently looking at me until it finished then walked away. When I came back later it'd obviously come back at some point and had covered up the evidence.

I've bought something called pepper dust from homebase which is a cat and dog repellent and I'm waiting for H to put it down. Meanwhile when I see the cats now I turn the hose on them. They don't like that!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Cats cover up their poo and tend to go in flowerbeds as it's nice and easy to rake. Also it tends to be quite small. Say 3 inches for the average cat?

The only time they really leave the evidence unovered is when they are marking their territory. IE, if a new cat has moved in and they need to set out their boundaries.

This makes me think that what you're dealing with comes from the arse of a dog!

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what my mum said (about cats covering it up) but a cat has definitely been at the back and not covered it up and I can't blame the dog for that one. I've seen a couple of cats around so I guess it could be marking it's territory [clutching at straws cause I really don't want it to be the dog]

Anyhoo, I put the cat deterrant down and [touch wood] no poo this morning [touch wood]

• M
    Beginner June 2007
    MollyP ·
    • Hide content

Cats generally do cover theirs up but not always. We've had poo on our front lawn sometimes and I always blamed the dog next door but then I saw a neighbours cat pooing on our lawn.

• N
    Beginner September 2008
    nutfluff ·
    • Hide content

The cats in our area certainly don't bury it. I regularly come home to several piles in the middle of the grass. Even when they go on the border (covered by bark chippings) they don't bother either. On the plus side it makes it easier to spot and remove, but if I wanted to do that I'd have a cat (or dog) of my own. One house has 5 cats, and I have seen another 3 as well. I am sick to death of it to be honest - am considering getting a pet snake (this is tongue in cheek btw, before anyone flames me for wishing ill on cats, I only wish ill on the owners who let them crap all over my garden)...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/homepage/New-pics-Bristol-snake-ate-cat/article-1257330-detail/article.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics