Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nubbin
Beginner January 2012

Catering - Advice needed!

Nubbin, 8 March, 2012 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hello Hitched!

I'm looking for some thoughts/experiences/knowledge with regards to caterers. We are having a really small wedding up north, and a week later having a big party in a town hall in Glasgow (Partick Burgh Hall for those who know it!).

We want to have a smashing buffet/catering for those attending the party.

There will be 150 people there.

What would be a reasonable cost? I'm thinking a bit more than just sandwiches and sausage rolls.

We are meeting with a local bar/restaurant to get some quotes from them - I'm thinking around 1k. Is that mental?

Cheers!

Jen

14 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 8 March, 2012 at 16:47
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure exactly, as we only looked at venues that charged catering along with the venue hire fee. I think if you're talking food and not any drinks, I would expect to pay at least £15 per person for a hot meal, and that's quite a bit more than you're talking. My venue charges £8 per person to do sausage rolls and sandwiches in the evening buffet, but you want more.. maybe you could find it for as little as £10 a person.

Just think that you want it to be good food, and then think about how much you would spend in a nice restaurant- now imagine 150 people eating at a fancy restaurant! Yes, buffet will be cheaper, but I think you're still looking at a substantial cost.

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

Try small local caterers.

Our caterer does a really posh menu but also a really basic menu. Our sit down meal has soup, choice of main, choice of desert and tea/coffee and cake all for £10 per head - I refused to pay £45 plus a head, i find it ridiculous!. And its excellent quality food, I've been to loads of weddings he's done and his food is great,

I'm in Scotland too, but not sure if he covers the Glasgow area. Definitely doable cheaply tho x

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

When we were looking at catering we found that a good buffet (hot or cold) was not any cheaper than a sit down meal - in part I think because there is more work in preparing lots of items than a set menu 3 courses, so the extra cost of table service for a sit down meal balances it out.

Our 'display buffet' for our wedding breakfast is £33.50 a head - way more than sausage rolls and sandwiches though. Our evening BBQ of sausages and burgers and salads and bread is I think £12 a head (good quality stuff tho).

You might be able to do something nice at £12 a head.

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

I do think we are going to have to pay more - I would hope to keep it around £10-12 per head max. I hope it didn't sound like I was being snotty about sandwiches and sausage rolls, it just doesn't rock my socks food wise Smiley smile I'd be more inclined to do a massive round at the local chippy/pizza place!

Dark Moomin - I'd be happy to pay that for the evening thing if it was good quality (I'll refrain from making a good sausage joke...too late Smiley smile )

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, a pizza buffet would be cool! And you could do a salad bar with it! Hmmm...

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Nubbin,

We're getting married up on Skye and are getting a local place to bring in fish suppers at £6.60 a head. We have designed the newspaper so that we are headline news! We'll put tartar sauce and ketchup on the tables as well as bread and butter and cups of tea. We have also asked for a couple of vats of locally made ice cream which we'll serve in wee tubs with plastic spoons and have concession trays for the waitresses. We'll have sprinkles and sauce etc on the tables. Our food is allowing us an affordable but fun day!

Partick Burgh Hall will be lovely! I'm south side of Glasgow but love the west.

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

The place we are going to get a quote from is a gourmet pizza place ...so I'm going to ask about that! I think that might work out reasonable.

Say there is 3 slices per person (1/2 pizza) = 75 pizzas. 75 x £10 per pizza = £750

That then leaves salad, hand cut spicy wedges, chicken, bruschetta etc...

I bet they could do that for £1500. Considering they aren't a caterers full time.

Wedding planning has changed me, I swear.

Now to put this to the dude, who whilst being in the industry, is clueless about how much things ACTUALLY cost.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to order pizza at the end of the night, but OH shouted me down!

I am concerned as our evening buffet is at 7, and the night finishes at midnioght, then we have about 45 mins on a coach to the hotel... (no not the best planning but we were limited in hotel options!)

Not sure there are any pizza delivery places nearby unfortunately - or I might just do it anyway!

MrsD soon to be - your food sounds brill too!

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds amazing - and exactly the kind of style/thing we are going for. We are paying out 3.5k for the wedding breakfast plus drinks up north so whilst I have no problems paying for a buffet for the Glasgow leg of the wedding, I can't bear to think that it'll cost me a thousand for sandwiches!

Food for thought indeed Smiley smile

It's a lovely building, and we stay next to Yorkhill hospital so it's really close!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You'll want to kill a slice of pizza by 1am! Go for it. Sounds lush! Just make sure you've got a big ivory napkin to tuck into your dress ?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, now to find out f there is anywhere that will deliver to our remote venue....

wonderif the bus company will let us have them on the bus...

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Hog Roast for the evening dooo, along with roast pototoes, salad, bread etc and thats only £5 a head.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Hog Roast for the evening dooo, along with roast pototoes, salad, bread etc and thats only £5 a head.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yea the ingredients are pretty cheap to make sandwiches but it is very labour intensive to make lots of them (I used to work at a wedding venue in the summer holidays as a teenager and used to have to make hundreds it takes ages cant bare making sandwiches any more) thats what bumps the price up at venues which makes it seem like a bad deal.

Lots of venues do nice sharing platters these days may be worth asking.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Get ice cream from the University Cafe! Yum yum yum

We're having mini pizzas at our evening buffet and I'll be so angry if I don't get any.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics