Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2016

Catering costs- afternoon tea

Lorrie3188, 4 of February of 2016 at 14:38 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi All,

We decided to go for an afternoon tea for our wedding as we liked the informality and also that it would cost less and leave more room in the budget for providing drinks (something which is a high priority for us).

The plan had always been to use a family friend's catering company and due to that fact, no costs were discussed up front (perhaps a mistake) and we just dove straight in to the menu.

We're having a choice of 6 canapes, sandwiches, tarts, quiches, savoury scones and salads for mains and then a selection of puddings. We have bacon sandwiches as a snack in the evening. We've been quoted £25 per head (70 guests) which includes cutlery and crockery but I believe no glasses and also doesn't include staffing costs, an extra of £370.

Total is over £2000 and will completely blow our budget. I'm really unsure what to do, it is too late to go with someone else as our wedding is 6 months away. Do we re-work the menu to try and bring the cost down or do we question charges at a risk of offending?

Having a quick peruse of other posts people have been saying more like £15-17 for afternoon tea which is what we were expecting.

Any advice would be appreciated... feeling very stressed about it all as costs keep piling up and up and my poor Dad is footing the bill.

Thanks x

10 replies

Latest activity by Much_ado_about_weddings, 24 of February of 2016 at 13:11
  • Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's worth sitting down with your friend first and telling them the original budget you had in mind. They will probably be able to help with cutting down some of the items to bring it more in to budget. You have quite a lot there tbh; a traditional afternoon tea is normally just a selection of finger sandwiches, 2 scones each and a couple of (small) cakes each.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I think for what you're getting (does the cost include the bacon sandwiches?) it's actually a good price. The £14-£16 range is usually for a cake stand with sandwiches, scones and some fancy cakes.

I think the only way to cut the price would be to get rid of the canapés.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree discuss your budget with them. After all that's a fair amount of food and is more like a buffet than afternoon tea so I'm sure it could be pared down a bit. Another option would be to include a sort of 'great British bake off' as another Hitched did and get your family and friends to bring their best baking efforts. Fills up your food table and you just give a prize for the best effort.

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

As others have said I think £25 is quite a good price for what you are getting, but obviously not for your budget.

I would say have a chat to your friend, see if they can bring the price down a little for you.

Or alternatively could you have them do the sandwiches and main bits and you provide the puddings? You can then rope whoever you can find into making cakes and bits (Mums, Nan's, Aunts, Uncles, Friends..) might be another option.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that isnt any afternoon tea ive ever seen and ive had a few, sounds more like a strange buffet ?

plus the bacon sandwhiches are a completely seperate item, they should be £5 or so on their own

I personally wouldnt pay that much from an outside caterer unless your getting resteraunt quality food and service but an actual afternoon tea in a resteraunt would be about £15-£20 depending on company (champaigne tea being £25-£30) and as said when you add the bacon sandwiches that would bring you to a price of between £20-£35

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Lorrie3188 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm not sure how I feel about Sorbet telling me it's a strange buffet.... but anyway! It's not mean to be a traditional afternoon tea, we are far from traditional.

we are going to meet again and axe some choices, I think it's that we have too many options so the man hours are high.

We can up the sandwiches and cut down down in the pricing options so everyone is well fed but it doesn't break the bank.

Thanks again. X

• Littlewren
    Beginner May 2017
    Littlewren ·
    • Hide content

We're in the early stages of planning our afternoon tea. We've had a sample menu for sandwiches, quiches, sausage rolls, mini croissant, cupcakes, scones, short bread, strawberries and cream, and tea and coffee for £18.50 pp. That includes table wear and cutlery but not staff, table linen or glass wear.

I would sit down with the caterer and talk about where you could cut back a bit.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I think that all sounds delicious!

Personally, I would probably keep the canapés for guests to have a nibble on whilst the photos are being taken etc. I would then keep the sandwiches, tarts, quiches and scones and lose the salads and the puddings. That way, you still have the savoury sandwiches and quiches and the sweet tarts for your guests. Are you having it served up on cake stands like a traditional afternoon tea or just laid out like a buffet? If you are having it on cake stands, then you need to think about everything "going together" as, traditionally, afternoon tea is sandwiches, sweet scones with clotted cream and jam and then small cakes.

Are you having a wedding cake? That can be served to guests in the evening with the bacon sandwiches and therefore you won't need the puddings x

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Yes - I agree with FutureMrsSmith... Sounds like if you cut the puddings and salads you'll still have a decent afternoon tea and evening snack and can hopefully cut on price.

As a comparison, my venue is charging £19 pp for the afternoon tea. We're then going to have an evening meal, probably bbq, which is £20-something pp. Bacon sandwiches with fries are also available at my venue and are I think £11 so you've not got too bad a deal there. However, if it's with a mate's company I can see why you'd expect it to be cheaper than the going rate; or at least no more expensive!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Lorrie3188 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah you're absolutely right Much Ado, it was that it was a mates company and we were thinking blooming eck! What would it be if we didn't know them! Trouble is, you say "wedding" and the cost triples.

We met up again and cut a few things off and also changed the style of serving. This could work for other people trying to cut back, we originally were going to serve the food at the tables but are now doing it buffet style. Lots less prep for them and less staff required. Plus, our tables weren't really wide enough to accommodate as we've got long trestles with quite a bit of decoration.

In the end we didn't have to cut much out, maybe 4/5 of the choices and managed to shave off £350 so that's great.

X

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Oh well done! Glad that's worked out okay! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics