Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2018

Catering question- bangers and mash

Meg101, 7 of March of 2017 at 13:31 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi, I'm currently making catering decisions and I'm stuck. Is sausage and mash an acceptable main meal at a wedding? My partner and I think it's OK and it's in our budget but some people I've spoken to are trying to put us off as it shows you've gone cheap. What do you think?

18 replies

Latest activity by DreamcatcherVN, 10 of March of 2017 at 19:44
  • Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it looks cheap, I think if it's what you want to eat it's what you want to eat so go for it Smiley smile xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I would be fine with it.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I'd be over the moon lol

Who doesn't like Sausage and mash?

I'm sure it would be presented nicely so I don't see an issue Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

No matter what you decide Megan you wont please everyone. Someone will always complain or find fault and for Some reason people think it's fine to give all their opinions over your wedding. Remember it's YOUR wedding so have the wedding you and your other half want/can afford.

• T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

Agree with the above, and also there is absolutely nothing wrong with going cheap! Most people, if they stepped back to think about it, would surely agree that as long as a wedding is enjoyable, there's no need for it to be lavish or fancy beyond the means or wishes of the couple. Feeding people a meal that they'd enjoy on any other day of the year (except maybe the hottest day!) doesn't inconvenience or cost anyone else anything so they really have no right to complain. Go for it if it's what you want!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I'd LOVE bangers & mash - and I am sure that everyone you love & care for that will be at your wedding would be more concerned about you getting in a mountain load of debt to pay for something that people deem more 'fancy' rather than what they're eating, at the end of the day.

I'll be honest... if I was pushed to recount any of the menus I'd tucked into at the last 10 weddings I'd gone to, I'd struggle - so I say go with what you & your OH want to do.

• Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

Go for it! I think it's a great idea! It's a British classic that people love. And it's your day after all. The most important thing is that you have a fantastic day with the people that mean the most in the world to you. It shouldn't matter how much the meal costs or whether it's traditional wedding fare.

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyRedStationery700 ·
    • Hide content

Bangers and mash is a great idea! I actually would be relieved to have a meal like that - I hate being presented with really fancy food as I don't like it, but feel obliged to force it down to be polite lol! Xx

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

I'd be so excited to have lovely, filling sausages and mash for my meal. It's a good meal and it would set me up well for an evening of drinking and dancing. I don't think it looks cheap either, you've fed your guests properly. Ignore other people trying to put you off, you're having a wedding to celebrate your decision to spend your life together, you're not having a wedding to show how much money you have.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm the same chapples! I couldn't repatriation meals I've had at weddings. Nice food but what? A lot of chicken I think.

Great point slink.

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

I love bangers and mash and think that would be an awesome meal at a wedding! I don't think it does look "cheap" as lots of fancy restaurants are trying to recreate the British classic anyway - besides if its what you and OH want, sod everyone else!
  • The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I agree, go with what you fancy!! Only thing is, perhaps not onwarm Summer's day? What time of year are you getting married?

• V
    Beginner September 2017
    VegasBride2017 ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough a girl I work with told me today that she had bangers and mash and sticky toffee pudding for desert. So it must be popular - they got married in Chester and Chesters posh! lol x

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

The best wedding I've been to served fish and chips in boxes from the chippy across the road, we all liked the food, we all knew what we were getting and it caused a great amount of giggles and conversation. A lot of wedding food is expensive but not well cooked, we're thinking about burgers and pizza send from a van in the courtyard at our venue. :-) No food is cheap (especially if you put the word wedding near it) don't break the bank just because someone who doesn't have to pay for it has a problem!

• L
    Beginner July 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery644 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds excellent to me! I think until you start actually looking into costs you don't appreciate the insane costs of weddings, saying that regardless of costs bangers and mash is always a winner as far as I'm concerned. Plus its nice and filling without being one of those meals that makes you feeling all bloaty in a dress Smiley smile

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

We had bangers and mash at our wedding and it was very well received. Everyone said they really enjoyed it and it was nice to have something a bit different. I say go for what you and your OH want !

• M
    Beginner October 2018
    Meg101 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in October so great comfort food Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

I would love to be served this at a wedding! (Well, veggie sausages for me). I wouldn't think it looked cheap (and even so, if it tastes good and everyone enjoys it then the cost shouldn't matter... there are plenty of fancy/expensive meals out there that the many people wouldn't enjoy).

I think it's rude of that person to say it's a cheap option... you're still providing a meal for everyone (and a decent one at that) and frankly it's no-one else's business what you spend!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics