Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner January 2011

Catholic Church - Giving Notice in other Districts

hannah_2308, 13 June, 2012 at 10:52 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi, I am wondering if someone could help me out with any advice / experience of the same position I am in.

We both live in Hertfordshire, and attend a Catholic Church there regularly. However, we are getting married in a Catholic Church in Berkshire.

I have spoken this morning to my District Registration office, who have said that as both of us are non-residents of Berkshire, and the Church is not our normal place of worship; one or either of us must move to Berkshire for seven consecutive nights, and have something to prove that we have done so, and then on the eighth day whomever has stayed in Berkshire, can register the marriage there.

This is a bit concerning! Am I going to have to move to a different county and stay in a hotel for a week just to get married in the Church there?! I have family who live in Berkshire whom I am sure I can get a letter from saying we have stayed with them for a week but the lady on the phone didn't know if this was enough.

Can any one shed any light or help at all with any experiences?

Thanks so much, Hannah

2 replies

Latest activity by BradyBird, 13 June, 2012 at 15:53
  • porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Not sure, have you spoken to both churches, rather than the register office as the rules for church are different to civil marriage I think. We arent getting married at our Parish church, but the one we attend in another parish (although not another district, this may be the reason). We just have to get the banns read at both churches, and the church we are getting married in needs a certificate from our parish church to say the banns have been read there. Hope this helps in some way!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a different county, but in a COE church and we have to attend church 6 times so that they can put us on the electrical role, I cant see how it could be that different as it is legal reasons I would have thought?

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    BradyBird ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a Catholic Church in Northumberland but currently live in London- we spoke to the parish Priest up there and he's fine with it as whilst it wasn't the parish I grew up in, it is now my mum's local church. He did warn that I may need to do a residency to satisfy the legal side but when I spoke to the registrar down here to book our appointment to give notice the lady asked what our connection with the Northern church is and was satisfied that it is in the district I grew up in, my parents still live there and it is my place of worship when I go home.

Are your relatives in Berkshire close family or have you ever lived there? I get the impression that if the relatives are grandparents or parents then there may be more flexibility but it also seems to vary between churches and registry offices just how many hoops you have to jump through.

Sorry I can't offer any more advice - hope it's a smooth journey for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics