Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2011

Catholic Wedding

robertson2b, 4 June, 2010 at 13:40 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi All

Having just read the post about registrar fees and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how much the priest charges? I really have no idea about this - I didnt even realise before I spoke to the priest that we would need a registrar as well as the priest.

If anyone has any approximate costs that would be brilliant.

Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by FitlerSq, 4 June, 2010 at 17:05
  • S
    Beginner July 2011
    starla ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We're having a Catholic wedding too, well I'm Catholic OH isn't erm I'm not much help sorry lol our Registrar is a family friend so he's doing us a huge favor and doing it for free! but have no clue about how much to "donate" to the chuirch I've been told between £50-£100??

BUT we still have to go to the council and give notice and everything, with those costs PLUS in order to get married in a Catholic church we have to either have some private pre marriage sessions with a councilor or a whole day thing at a cost of £60

• R
    Beginner August 2011
    robertson2b ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I've just been told that the registrar will be £423 in total. Our priest will be travelling about 20 minutes to the church as its within private grounds so I guess we will have to have a think about how much we will donate.

We haven't been told about pre-marriage sessions - all these little things seem to be adding up! Still another 14 months until our wedding so I guess we will be told about that nearer to the time maybe.

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    starla ·
    • Hide content

Yea maybe, from what i understand from speaking to other ppl who married in a Catholic church you have to do them, which i don't actually mind and the £60 is a bit of annoying but oh well lol

we have 11months to go and i think we got in a bit early we've started the paper work with my Priest, but still need to find my baptism and confirmation certificates, and the church checks the register to see that i haven't been maried (by the church) before - but as OH is no religion at all he has to get a letter from his mum giving him permission lol too funny! we now need to go give notice but i'll have to book a day off for this which is annoying as they're only open for this mon-friday!

• R
    Beginner August 2011
    robertson2b ·
    • Hide content

We are exactly the same - we went to see the priest last week and he has asked for my certificates and my partner isn't religous at all so he also has to get a letter from his mum to say that he has never been married before! Very funny Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner July 2011
    starla ·
    • Hide content

Yea OH's parents are divorced and his dad lives up north (and can't even be bothered to add his own son on facebook!) grr lol so the Preist got a bit confused with all the different names lol and funny having to put fathers proffesions too but oh well still exciting x can't wait to start picking readings and hymns etc

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Hi, ours is a Catholic wedding (same starla - i'm catholic and oh isn't - the priest called it a 'mixed marriage'!!!) We have to pay the £60 registrar fee and then I think this is quite expensive - £330 to the church!! They say half of it is for the marriage prep course we had to do, but think it's still dearer than typical churches as it's the Cathedral. However they did say if we couldn't afford it they would sort something.

I think because the priest isn't a registrar it still has to be registered legally, hence the £60 but it does mean the registrar doesn't need to be there on the day, the Priest has the right to do everything - legally marry you and sign the certificate. It's confusing!

• R
    Beginner August 2011
    robertson2b ·
    • Hide content

Oh I hope this isn't the case for us because then we would be looking at about £800 - this is a ridiculous amount...no wonder people arent getting married in churches anymore!

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know - I really think it's a Cathedral thing though as the parish also covers a normal church and I think their fees (inc the marriage course) are around £120. But still then there are bells, choir, organ and all that jazz if you want it - it's very expensive eeekk!

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FitlerSq ·
    • Hide content

Fees probably depend on the church. I am getting married next year at a Catholic church in Gloucestershire. The priest said that the registrar fee (the registrar doesn't attend, but this is a document preparation fee?) is £47.50. The fee for the organist at our church is £100 and the donations for the church and to the priest for his time are about £100 each (though it depends on how much you can afford to give).

Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics