Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ajx
Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire

Catholic wedding songs

Ajx, 8 of March of 2023 at 07:56 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi guys,

We've not had our second meeting with the priest yet so I haven't been able to ask him any proper questions but does anyone know what the rules are around songs in a catholic church? Are we able to use the piano version of songs etc as long as it has no lyrics or do they have to be hymns?

I'm presuming that each parish will be different but just wanting to know if anyone else has any ideas xx

5 replies

Latest activity by Kirsty, 16 of March of 2023 at 11:15
  • A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

From what I have read, it is up to the priest and can vary. We've not spoken to our priest about music yet, but are hoping to in the next couple of weeks as I'm now panicking a bit! I wanted to walk out of church after the ceremony to a song from a film soundtrack, and know people who have walked out of Catholic ceremonies to pop songs. I thought I would find a more traditional alternative, just in case there was a problem, and settled on Mendelssohn's Wedding March. Well, I then read that lots of Catholic Churches won't allow it (they also have a problem with the Bridal Chorus, haha, although I don't want to use that to walk in to)!

Our priest is lovely and I'm sure we'll come to a good solution, but until we speak to him we won't know for sure!

• Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that! I'm sure our priest mentioned about having the organist play some music so I'm not sure if that means music other than hymns. I'm more than happy to use the instrumental version of songs but I guess i'll have to ask and hope he says we can!

• J
    Beginner December 2023 New York
    Jake69 ·
    • Hide content

Any wedding songs or music must be approved by the priest or music director of the church. You may have your heart set on a certain #1 billboard hit single, but unless it is approved by the priest, it may not be allowed for your ceremony.

ThirtyOneToday Login

• B2B2023
    Curious April 2023 East Central London
    B2B2023 ·
    • Hide content

It's very much up to the priest but I imagine you'll need some hymns during the service itself (our priest suggested 2). However, the entrance, exit and signing of the register music can probably be piano instrumentals of non-religious songs. The organ in a church does sound wonderful though!

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in a Church of England church, so I am not sure how different this is to a catholic church but just to give you an idea, my vicar has said that we need to have 2 or 3 hymns to be sung during the ceremony. The entry and exit music and music played whilst we sign the register is completely our choice. We are having a pianist come to the church to do this. We also have an organist from the church to accompany the hymns, so they will work together to provide our music.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics