Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner January 2012

Catholic Wedding Spain

Elan_elan, 21 of July of 2012 at 15:44 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 4

Hi everyone, I am new to this website and have a few questions that I hope someone could please help me with.

I am at the very early stages of planning to get married in Mijas in Spain next year, but am not able to book the church until 1st September (don't know why). Am a bit confused about all the paperwork and things I need to do, as we are not going to use a wedding planner (we have family living in Spain to make enquiries and translate for us etc). I have been looking online for information basically about how to get married in Spain, but keeping coming up against conflicting sources of information, so am not sure what to do.

Firstly, can someone please tell me if there are any residency requirements that Catholics need to fulfill before marrying in Spain? As far as I am aware, no such stipulations apply to Catholics wishing to marry in Spain (we are both RC), so there is no minimum amount of time we will need to spend in Spain before the wedding?

Secondly, please can someone tell me what legal paperwork we would need to fill and and when that would need to be done (we are both from Northern Ireland, living in England), both at in the UK and Spain.

Also, is a religious ceremony recognised as legal wedding, or is a separate civil ceremony required?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't know where to start and keep getting conflicting information online. If anyone has recently married in the Catholic church in Spain, please do let me know about you went about it.

Many thanks :-)

4 replies

Latest activity by tpphotography, 25 of June of 2014 at 18:17
  • C
    Beginner May 2013
    ClaireBoynt ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I am in the process of organising my wedding in Sitges, just south of Barcelona!

Everything your asking is things i need to know too!! Planning a Spanish wedding is not an easy task looking on the internet so im needing help!! We have a friend in Spain and we were told 'foreigners' can book their weddings from 1st August, so our friend went along to the Chapel and we got a wedding date from the priest for 10th May 2013. The priest has asked us for our Baptism Certificates and a letter from our parish giving permission to marry abroad. Thats all hes asked for?

Thats all I have got up to so far!, Trying to find out all the finer details now to sort out, I dont believe you need to be resident for anytime in spain or that you need any civil ceremony to make it legal as its Catholic Church so recognised in UK etc. We are going over this November to meet the Priest and go over all the wedding planning with our friend..

Claire x

• M
    Beginner June 2013
    missmaisie ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My sister got married in April, it was a catholic minister that came to the villa who did the ceremony. She had a wedding planner who I have to say they earned their money and were absolutley fantastic and werent really that expensive I can find out who she used if you want, Julie (Planner) didnt care about anything apart from my sister having her dream day and even lent her stuff of her own for tables and lighting decoration etc. If you go on Facebook and find Princess Bride that was Lori who did our hairs and makeup and she was brilliant too. In the end because of the legalities of the ceremony side of things my sister got married at the registry office over here beforehand but guests didnt know and literally just parents, brothers and sisters then she had hired the villa with pool that 19 of us were staying at where she had the wedding but had over 50 guests as we have family out there and many travelled with it being only a short flight people can do short breaks or make a holiday of it. Nobody would have known she had done it officially the week before as it had the religious part and had them lighting candles and dropping money through hands. Her planner advised her on all the people to get in but would recommend Lori and also her photographs are amazing and her photographer was Paco Montagut both were the wedding planners recommendations I think let me know if theres anything you would like me to ask her and if you want details for the planner as I know it wasnt half as expensive as I thought and their service was fantastic. From my understanding the other option for my sister was to go off to Gibralta for a day to get officially married then back for the ceremony however financially she chose the registry office here in secret. xxx

• A
    Beginner
    Anna01 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we are hoping to marry in Mijas next summer 2015 .... With reception in the Valpariso!

Please can can you let me know how you got on with the Church?

I have tried telephoning & emailing with no joy.

Thank you so much

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Hi! We're getting married in Spain this year - though we're havign a humanist ceremony so i can't help you out with the legal stuff I'm afraid.

We're in Nerja which is just along the coast from Mijas ... so exciting!

We have a wedding planner and I have to say, along the way we've felt very much like 'we could have done that ourselves' or we've felt like we're continually having to prompt her or remind her of stuff. We're hoping she's really going to earn her money on the day by us not having to think about anything other than getting married (which was our main reason for hiring a WP in the first place.)

So exciting to find other people getting married in Spain! My planning thread is in my sig if you want a nosey, it needs updating Smiley smile

• tpphotography
    tpphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I will be most probably in Malaga in Autumn, if you're still looking for a good photographer, I might be available. U can check my works at: www.przychodzien.com

Best,

Tom

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics