Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2011

Catholic Wedding....Admin? Banns? Legal?

emmamac73, 2 December, 2010 at 12:46 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hope you can help.

OH and I are getting married in a Catholic Church next August. We have met the priest and he has agreed to marry us (OH is protestant). Now what....?!

The priest said he will invite us to "classes" after xmas but what about the legal side of it all? I think the Priest is a registrar too? He said he will sort our certificate out..

Any experts out there that can talk me though the whole process please?

TIA!

10 replies

Latest activity by lovelygirl, 3 December, 2010 at 17:34
  • C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am also getting married in a Catholic church, these are the instructions our priest gave me;

Because its not the church nearest to where we live (its my childhood church) we have to get permission in writting from our local Priest to get married outside of the parish.

I need to get a new copy of my baptism certificate 6 months before the wedding.

I need a copy of my confirmation certificate.

OH needs a copy of his christening certificate, even though he's COE.

We have to give notice in our local registry office.

We also have to do a marriage course which they do for one whole day before the wedding.

I believe the Priest is the registrar as he hasn't told me to book one, and none of my Catholic friends have had one!! it does all feel a bit confusing though!!

C x

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Ok don't panic! I am the CofE part of our catholic marriage and so far it has been a little bit more complex than the norm, but nothing to unsettling.

You will need to give notice at the registry office like you would with a civil wedding. We are more complex as getting married out of parish. I as the CofE needed a photocopy of my baptism certificate and a letter from my parents to say i have not been married before. H2b needs letters of freedom from all the parishes he has lived in since 18 to say that he has not been married whilst he lived there and a up to date baptism certificate - your priest will go over all this in the first class.

Some priests are registrars some are not so you will have to check

I should think the certificate he was talking about was the dispensation for you to marry a protestant

Our priest expects us both to go to church regularly every week, although when we are away we go to church at FIL2b church, although we will be going to the church we are getting married in for midnight mass - very excited as it will be our first time

If i can help in any way i will try but i am new to this catholic malarky

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Banns are only read for couples where both are catholic - at least that is what we have been told

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

Emmamac - not sure about the banns but we have been having our couples lessons!! They are basically hour long chats with our Canon! I'm converting with my baptism and confirmation all happening at Easter! very exciting and nervous times!!!!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Lauren OOOh sorry to be nosey - but what made you decide to convert, when did you decide to convert? only asking because i am umming and ahhing about the whole thing

also are you having the wedding service or full nuptial mass?

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    emmamac73 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I think I'll have a chat with the priest when we next go to church. Haven't been for a few weeks ? 7pm Sat or 9am Sunday.....and they wonder why the congregation is shrinking! lol....kidding!!! ?

Thanks peeps!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Our church is either 6pm on the sat or 9.30am on the sunday but being in the city we have option to go to other services by the same priests.... if we could be bothered to find out when they are.....

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

Banns are read for all marriages happening in Church. We are getting married in church (CofE) and our banns will be read in my parish church where we are to be married and in OHs parish church. Our Vicar explained they are an old tradition because in the olden days everyone went to church and when banns were read if gave everyone a chance to spread the word and if either one of the couple was already married that news would travel back to the church now days you are not likely to know many people that go to church and checks are done electronically.

Sorry went abit off topic there!

• L
    Beginner
    landy312 ·
    • Hide content

Major Cities Are Chosen as Medieval Wedding Dress
    Classic Cheap Designer Wedding Dresses Provided at Low PriceWhat is the Future of Sterling Maggie Sottero Evening Dresses ? God Knows!The Temptation of landybridal You May Not Know designer bridal gowns , The Best Anniversaries Latest Products for Mom.To Enjoy Most Delicate Floor length Bridal Gown for DaughterThe Latest Gifts Ever: Maggie Sottero Wedding Dresses for ReceptionistsDo You Have pepe botella bridal gown ? Julianne Moore Fancy It Very Much!Expert shopping Ways: Christmas Dresses You May Brush Aside These When Resume evening dress.Vintage-Inspired: Magnificent JewelryFashion Series Mistakes Even Smart Mary-Kate Olsen Make with Christmas Party Dresses The Best Christmas Party Dresses for Networking EventsEssentials at the Hottest Price! Get designer bridal gowns for Grandparents!
    Make a Summary of the Most Expensive Designer Wedding Dresses for AprilWardrobe Staples of A Line Bridal Gown Women in Lyon all Show Affection to to Wear wedding dress.Fall Most Intriguing Bridal Gown Petticoats Come to Buy Engaging pepe botella wedding gown ! They Are Now at the Most Competitive Price!Some Details to Match Your Classic Bridal Gown 10 Reasons for You to Pick evening dress.The Trend Bible to wedding dress Alternatives landybridal Triumph for Spring 2011The Unknown False Ideas of bridesmaid dress . Here's the Answer.The Latest Collections of wedding dress are Said to be the Subtlest One.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Kitty - unfortunately the banns in the catholic church are different for CofE, I would love for us to go to the service and listen to our banns being read but will not happen Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics