Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lateralus
Beginner October 2010

Ceilidh Band (Nottingham area)

Lateralus, 29 June, 2009 at 22:12 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi,

Following a recommendation from this site (thanks Bexx909!) we've just booked Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel for our wedding. We're now thinking about getting a ceilidh band booked, but neither of us have been to any around Nottingham, so thought I'd ask here for recommendations. We'd rather get a local band so that we can save on travel/accommodation costs for them, and are specifically after a ceilidh rather than a barn dance. I'm not sure of the difference, but I've been reliably informed that it's an important one! Any recommendtations would be great, preferably to sites where they have sample videos if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Latest activity by Lateralus, 16 April, 2010 at 09:34
  • Lateralus
    Beginner October 2010
    Lateralus ·
    • Hide content

Well we thought we had a band booked, but it looks like there has been a mix up and so we're now on the scout for another ceilidh band! So, can anyone recommend a good ceilidh band in the East Midlands area? We're more concerned about getting a band who are fun and relaxed than anything else, but as the wedding party won't contain many (if any) experienced ceilidh dancers, a good caller is important too! Any recommendations would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

• B
    Beginner May 2011
    BridetobeMrsW ·
    • Hide content

Thats my venue too! Was it me that reccommended it?

When are you getting married? We're 1st may next year.

We went to a wedding fair at the venue a few months ago and saw a band called james v joyce (www.jamesjoyceband.co.uk) who seem pretty good and we were thinking about booking them.

Looking forward to seeing your planning pics, are you notts based?

• Lateralus
    Beginner October 2010
    Lateralus ·
    • Hide content

No, it was Bexx909 who initially recommended it, but it's a lovely venue! Just a shame that there aren't any windows in the barn itself, but other than that it's great.

Ours is 1st October this year, and we're going for fairly simple decorations - hessian table runners with simple patchwork decoration, dried wheat and barley sheaves (http://www.shropshirepetals.com/) with red and white wooden roses mixed in (similar to these), and a few more fairy lights and some ivy along the railings of the raised bit near the barn entrance. That's about all we think it needs, and we really like the chunky wooden tables. We're not using the pig styes, and are having a hog roast in the bar and barn (and hopefully outside too!) for the main meal.

Thanks for the band recommendation, I will check them out. We're also looking at Jigabit and Belzebub Folk Band.

We live in Gateshead actually, but my fiancée is from Notts and her parents still live there, so that's partly why we're having the wedding down there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics