Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

Ceilidh band recommendations?

Much_ado_about_weddings, 24 of February of 2016 at 11:56 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all!

I'm getting married July 2017 in South Wales and am looking for a good ceilidh band. However, my fiancé and I, and all our friends, are in our twenties, so I would ideally like a cool young band. "Licence to Ceilidh" would be absolutely perfect (went to one of their ceilidh nights in London) but are probably beyond my budget... someone told me they charge around h £1500ish (??) I've found a few Wales-based bands for much cheaper but they don't exactly give off the cool young vibe I'm looking for (I mean no offence by the way!!)

so if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to "Licence to Ceilidh" please let me know!

many thanks! And happy wedding planning!

Smiley smile

6 replies

Latest activity by Much_ado_about_weddings, 7 of April of 2016 at 05:06
  • N
    Beginner September 2017
    noideahowtoplanawedding ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I'm looking for the exact same thing and also looked at Licence to Ceilidh. My fiancé is (so he says) looking into it this week so I'll let you know what options we come up with!

x

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, if you were closer to Hampshire/Wiltshire/Berkshire I'd suggest Threepenny Bit. Seen them play and they are great, but not been to a ceilidh with them. Not sure they'd travel as far as Wales though ☹️

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Got a quote back from LTC and with their travel costs added on it comes in at £2300 which settles matters - not a chance! Shame though cos they're awesome!

Oh yes please do let me know what your fiancé comes up with!

I'll have a look at Threepenny Bit too - thanks for the tip!

I'm not getting married until July 2017 and was intending to start planning this summer, naively thinking a year would be more than enough time... Am now realising how wrong I was!

• N
    Beginner September 2017
    • Hide content

Fiance is yet to actually start looking... Will let you know though. I'm surprised by how much LtC are- friends had then at their wedding and they were £1500, but I guess there was limited travelling and that was a little while ago.

We are sept 2017 and I'm already finding the "to do" list pretty long. I'm trying to focus on anything involving a human element that someone else could swoop in and book- photographer and ceilidh band and dj are next on the list!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Any luck, Noidea? I think LTC probably are around £1500 without travel - they seemed to add on a lot for the distance! I got in touch with ThreePenny Bit as Kizzi suggested, who look amazing, but they offer only an 8 person band plus caller so quoted me £1600 (including travel)... They don't allow the size of the band to be cut.

Anyway, hope your search is going better than mine! If anyone does know of a good, inexpensive band in the South Wales (ceilidh band) let me know! Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner September 2017
    • Hide content

We've emailed "Ceilidh Generation", who seem like a potential option... X

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Anyone ever heard of 'Uisage Contraband' or 'Guriella Ceilidh'??

Theyre two ceilidh bands I've got it narrowed down to but the trouble is I can't find much info on either of them and I'm planning from abroad! Has anyone seen them play? (I can find a video of each of them but it's kind of hard to tell what it's like from the videos!). They're a similar price, but one is travelling from Oxford, the other from Cardiff, so I, guessing the Cardiff one will be cheaper in travel expenses (wedding is at the Gower).

Apart from price, what else should help me choose between the bands?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info on them Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics