Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2016

Celebrant / Humanist Ceremony in South Wales. Thoughts?!

b2be1, 17 of February of 2015 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

Has anyone ever been to or had a humanist wedding ceremony/ blessing by a celebrant.

Being brought up in a catholic family I quite like the idea of a few religios references to keep the old folks happy but we definitely want something more relaxed than a formal church wedding.

After booking our venue we looked in to civil ceremonies properly I was surprised at how restrictive civil ceremonies were and then to top it off, got told the only available registrar on the day of our wedding (in 2 years time!) is only available at 2PM which really doesn't work with our day plan.

Our venue have suggested we have to lock in another option pretty quickly so would be keen to get peoples thoughts and even recommendations for celebrants in and around South Wales!

Thanks!!

3 replies

Latest activity by Simply Ceremonies Uk, 18 of February of 2015 at 20:35
  • Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

No experience, but we would definitely consider it if the venue we chose wasn't licensed (we live in Scotland so they're legally binding here). I do like the idea of a humanist ceremony, making it more personal and exactly what you want rather than having to follow any guidelines or rules.

• H
    Beginner September 2016
    Hilary99 ·
    • Hide content

Lots of humanist Celebrants on the British Humanist Association website - will carry out ceremony any time, any place! So don't cancel your beautiful venue! Then you can go to your Register Office on a separate day and sign their register to make it legal (in England and Wales). Probably will become legal here in a couple of years, as it already is in Scotland and Eire. Hope helps.

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

We are having a celebrant and I must say she has been really lovely. Our ceremony will be very personal (although not gushy slushy!) and we are including lighting candles, readings, blessing rings etc. It's costing us £150 for her time this includes meeting us initially & seeing if we liked her ! she said it was important that we gel which I thought was lovely. Then we met again recently & we went through the ceremony in more detail, i provided readings, she gave us ideas on vows etc. She will meet us again before the day just to make sure everything is OK & we are happy then actually conduct the ceremony on the day. Not only do I think it's incredibly good value but it's the fact that we can tailor things to what we want.

I initially wanted a church wedding as i felt it important to be married in the community in which we lived etc, however, we are both divorced (neither been married in church before) and our parish does not marry divorced people. Cant tell you how gutted I felt to be told that, however, it's worked out for the best.

Celebrants/humanist ceremonies are a real alternative if you think a civil ceremony would be too restrictive & as had been said they are actually legal in Scotland ! Sorry i cant help you with recommendations for South Wales but have a look on the Humanist Society website, lots of good ideas & contacts on there.

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

Being an Independent Celebrant myself, I can totally recommend you consider one for your ceremony. Smiley winking

we create,write and perform a bespoke ceremony which if you want can include a small element of religion or can be completely religion free.

i am a member of the Fellowship of Independent Celebrants and there is a link for celebrants in your area to help you find one. They are all different but should gave one thing in common.....to create a ceremony that you want on your wedding day.

http://www.foic.org.uk/home/celebrant-list

good luck

Karina x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics