Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hollie
Curious September 2021 Staffordshire

Celebrant problem

Hollie, 10 of March of 2021 at 08:05 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hey,

We are having a celebrant for our wedding, and were just in the process of booking a lovely lady we found. We haven't paid the deposit yet, but she has put us in her diary and is waiting for us to fill out the form.

Now, I was going to do that last night, however a friend of mine got in touch and said her mother is a qualified celebrant, and after hearing we had cancelled our original wedding thus losing the deposit, she wanted to offer her services to us as a wedding gift. And as I know the family, both me and my partner agreed it would feel better knowing that the celebrant knows us on a more personal level.

I feel guilty though, so how to I let this lady we found down gently? I don't want her thinking we are messing her about, but we had no idea this would happen. I genuinely feel so rude about it!

Please help,

Hollie

5 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 16:05
  • Kay
    Curious June 2021 Bristol
    Kay ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hollie,

How lovely of your friend's mum!

I'm sure if you explained the situation to the celebrant she'll definitely understand.

Kay

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Just explain as soon as possible - until you've paid the deposit, she'll be aware you could back out anyway, and the sooner you let her know, the better.

I'm in a different industry, but I've had similar situations - I never mind if someone gets back to me straight away, but I really hate it if they keep stalling me for days or just ignore me completely. So if I were you, I'd ring her today and explain.

• Hollie
    Curious September 2021 Staffordshire
    Hollie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you,

I'm literally just hanging on until I have full confirmation from the lady who's approached us, and once that's 100% confirmed to avoid and further messing about I'll be in touch with her immediately ?

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Personally as she’s held the date with the expectation she’s performing your day I’d pay the deposit either way (how would you feel if she didn’t hold your day because you haven’t paid your deposit and you didn’t have another option).

We are all aware of how much pressure the wedding industry is under so pulling out (thus taking away her expected income and potentially making her miss out on another couple) post verbal agreement is far from ideal. The deposit payment is a nice goodwill gesture given you (potentially) no longer need to pay for a celebrant.
    Just a thought.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon Online ·
    • Hide content

Yes let her know as soon as possible, she will understand and also appreciate so she can then book someone else in.

Its really frustrating when people ask to be "pencilled in" and then never get back to you, leaves you thinking "do they actually think they have a booking" as its not booked until you sign the contract and pay the deposit.

So after 2 or 3 weeks I try and contact and get no reply and then it seems like I am pestering them.

I would much prefer to be told "we are really interested but still doing some research" rather than asked to be pencilled in.

How I respond to being asked to pencil in is to say I will mark you down as interested and if anyone else wants the date I will give you first refusal. But usually if its pencilled in and I don't hear back within a week then they don't go on to book.

So from my experience pencilled in doesn't mean a lot really.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics