Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner February 2013

Centerpieces for a winter wedding - HELP!!!

ScottishBeth, 2 of February of 2012 at 10:04 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi,

I am getting married on a small inner hebridian island in Scotland in 2013 during the winter. It is a small wedding and I am struggling with ideas for the centerpieces. Can anyone give me any advice?

I was thinking of fish bowls or candles on glass plates and would love to incorporate thistles and roses into it.

Thank you Smiley smile

Beth

14 replies

Latest activity by MrsMeldrew, 1 of February of 2013 at 11:29
  • lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of the candles & the thistles, think it would look really wintery & in keeping with the location.

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

The ideas you have are lovely!

You could have 3x church candles in different sizes grouped in the middle of the centrepiece and then have lovely foliages such as spruce, ivy, salal and something varigated (the two tone pale green/cream foliages) and add some roses and eryngium(thistle) etc around it. Not sure if you are doing these yourself?

I suppose other flowers you use will depend on availability and colour scheme/taste.....lisianthus is lovely and wax flower....

You will need a flat dish and green oasis big enough to sit the candles on and still have room for the flowers etc.

If the flowers are kept in a cool place they can be stored/transported and will be ok for a few days( eryngium and foliages last for ages!)

?

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Or something like this could look great but with roses and eryngium (thistle) instead of ranunculas and maybe some tallish twigs coming up from the centre?

• CIAPhotography
    CIAPhotography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Beth

I photographed an amazing wedding at Cameron House Loch Lomond in late 2010 where the centre pieces contained christmas baubles and the cake was designed like christmas presents. I have also seen brides use mini christmas trees as centre pieces.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Where is your wedding? We love Lewis in particular, especially the Thai cafe!

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

I'm too having a Christmas wedding and going for this look (hopefully I'll be able to post pics)....

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

We are having a winter wedding too, and having very similar centre pices to Mrs-HFA. We were originally going to have hurricane vases with church candles surrounded by pine cones inside.

Depending on your theme I think pine cones are a lovely decoration; I wanted more winter then christmas! But if you want christmas, how about a christmas wreath with a variety of large candles in the middle?

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I had a winter wedding and these were mine:

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

This was how our venue was set up for dinner. we had fish bowls full of burgundy organza and fairy lights with a balloon in the centre with matching colours.

and our top table had organza and lights along the front of it instead of the fish bowls, and the balloons sat behind us

If you click on the image, it will open up bigger.

• S
    Beginner February 2013
    ScottishBeth ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sasha,

Yes I hope to do them myself although my other half has now decided he quite likes the idea of a bowl of sweeties!!! Looked at the large martini glasses but the are dead expensive!!

Thanks again x

• S
    Beginner February 2013
    ScottishBeth ·
    • Hide content

Hi CIA Photography,

We are getting married on Mull! We love the island so much Smiley smile Will be cold though in February!!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Your ideas sound nice...maybe try a mock up of it? ... i have always liked the idea of baubles in a glass bowl/vase etc...i have just done a quick search on google images and i think theres some lovely ideas!!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=bauble%20centrepiece&gbv=2&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1183l7145l0l10844l17l17l3l2l2l0l207l1527l4.7.1l12l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Smiley smile x

• S
    Beginner February 2013
    ScottishBeth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. As I mentioned to Sasha my fiancee now thinks sweets would be a nice touch with organza bage then it acts as a favour as well ;-) I wanted to put them into large martini glasses however they are sooooo expensive I think they may be out of our budget!

Thanks for all the ideas, I love this!!! I hope everyones weddings go well Smiley smile

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi Beth,

Here is a site i found with 40cm and 50cm martini glasses at a good price....ive not used the site before though.

http://www.sara-richards.co.uk/product.php/2091/50cm-tall-martini---cocktail-vases-in-clear-glass---reduced-to-cost---to-clear

OR

You could still have a cylinder vase with silver/gold/white twigs in it as on some of the pics and then buy lots of little bowls which sit around the vase and are filled with sweets....or fill the organza bags with the sweets and hang them on the twigs along with baubles, hearts or beads etc....

Good luck anyhoo!?

• lizhowley
    Beginner February 2014
    lizhowley ·
    • Hide content

Im also having a winter wedding in Feb 2014.

Check out my pintrest

http://pinterest.com/lizhowley/my-dream-wedding/

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

If I think winter I think berries. Hypericum with thistles and other winter foliage/flowers would look fab. I reckon you'd be able to drop on some decent artifical stuff

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics