Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs S*
Beginner January 2010

cereal portion sizes!!

Mrs S*, 24 June, 2009 at 11:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

What a joke! I've just weighed out my 35g and i realise i feed my niece more than that! And she's 3!! It's about 15 frosties! Needless to say i promptly turned the scales off! I wold starve on 35g!!! x

Rant over!

17 replies

Latest activity by AnnaBanana, 24 June, 2009 at 20:07
  • Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever weighed a suggested serving of muesli? You need a magnifying glass to see it ?

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

Shocking, isn't it. I've got used to it now though.

The best serving size are Weetabix. The serving size is 2 biscuits which is a decent size.

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

When I first started Slimming World and weighed out my 1 oz serving of cereal I thought the same - flippin' 'eck, I said, that's hardly worth the effort. But I've found that by the time I've added my yoghurt and chopped fruit I end up with a mega bowl-ful ...... and I don't feel deprived any more! (And we can have t weetabi biscuits if we want as a serving and that loooks the proper job anyway!)

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Shame i don't like weetabix as that seems okay. I've just checked the frosties box.. it's only 30g not 35g so even less! [:'(] My cereal collection is very grown up... frosties, honey loops, ricicals (sp?) and the good old vairety pack! x

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Better off eating the box ?

I haven't eaten cereal for years - it so fails to deliver in terms of niceness/fillingness per calorie.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear - all that sugar and you're going to be starving by mid morning however many grams of it you have!

I'm upset to read about the museli portions though, my bowl this morning took me 20 mins to eat as there was so much in it ?

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Weetabix is the only cereal I'll eat as it's the only one that comes close to being filling enough! I love it though, and have eaten it most days for the past four years.

The suggested serving of museli is pathetic - pretty much a heaped tablespoon. How that is meant to work, I will never know!

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you tried eating cereals like Shreddies, Oats and More, anything with wheat and fibre in? I couldn't survive on frosties etc for my breakfast, it's just empty calories. Toast would be better.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

I only have fruit for breakfast these days as cereal isn't worth the hassle for the ammount you get. My dad has been eating weetabix with water and mullerlight for years now. i tried it once and it's disgusting.

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content

The Dorset cereals portion size is 77g, and very filling and tasty.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I have start which although does have sugar in it manages to fill me up till lunchtime, I probably have way more than the recommended portion size though!

• Monkey   Mavis
    Beginner
    Monkey Mavis ·
    • Hide content

When I was on weightwatchers I used the Kellogs Variety packs and had 2 - it worked out with my milk (which included the amount for cups of tea in the day) - at abut 4.5 points and was a good amount, Certainly the 35g is rubbish. Cornflakes are even worse!!!

• whitty1
    Beginner December 2003
    whitty1 ·
    • Hide content

30g of rice krispies is ok. But it doesn't fill you up for very long. I have porridge as it's really filling and pretty good calorie wise. I have 40g though.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

There's an interesting article in this month's Red magazine about breakfasts and what's good - I'll scan it in if anyone's really interested.

But basically, it's all about protein and not carbs! I was doing the South Beach Diet recently and really enjoyed it, although it did involve a bit more faff in the mornings.

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I was told by my personal trainer as well. When I was loosing weight for my wedding I ate eggs every morning for breakfast because they're very high in protein. Was a bit of a fag though because I wasn't eating all the yolks either so it was 1 full egg and 2 egg whites.

• I
    infoplease ·
    • Hide content

I am all for eggs for breakfast! Recently been having two eggs, scrambled for breakfast and it really keeps me full till dinner time. I saw the programme a few weeks ago about how protein keeps the hunger pangs away and it really is amazing how well it actually works. I think there's about 80 cals in an egg so at 160 calories for breakfast and nothing till dinner time that's pretty good going I reckon!

Bye bye rubbish cereal portions!

• piggin.
    Beginner July 2008
    piggin. ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

totally agree!

cereal wise - have you tried puffed wheat (Quaker make it) you get tonnes! plus if you put grandulated sweetner on it it tastes just like sugar puffs.

• AnnaBanana
    Beginner July 2007
    AnnaBanana ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh Flump - does it have any high protein, no wheat ideas? im stumped, and am stuck with yoghurt for the moment, or smoothies, certainly during the week. Weekends I have eggs as I dont have time during the week.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics