Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BethG
Beginner June 2015

Ceremony fees!

BethG, 1 of August of 2014 at 11:34 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi

We are just in the process of booking our wedding for next year.

We would like to get married at the venue, but the cost of getting the registrar out is £450. I wouldnt have minded but after seeing that the cost to be married at our local registary office is £49 i felt quite ripped off!

Has anyone else had this problem? is there a way around this? or another option?

Please help!

19 replies

Latest activity by KinkyBride, 3 of August of 2014 at 16:50
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

That's how much ours is. Plus we have to pay the Venue £180 for use of an office.

Other than getting married in the registry office itself it will cost about that. I think weekdays may be slightly cheaper.

• lilacpearl
    Beginner August 2014
    lilacpearl ·
    • Hide content

I think that it does just end up quite pricey, unfortunately. We're getting married in a church, and it's costing over £600.

If it is too much, maybe you should consider the registry office.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £480 but ours is the most expensive day (Sunday).

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at our venue who are charging £550 for the ceremony room on top of the registrar's fee of £540. pricy but we considered our options, cost of transporting guests between venues, plusextra stress and decided we would rather be where we want so will pay accordingly. We love our venue so it's worth it for us, but others would be bound to have different priorities.

£49 is a bargain if it provides what you want, or is a happy compromise. if not, it's a false economy.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Posts like this annoy me!

Its the most important bit, you know, the bit that actually means that you are married?! £450, if you are spending say £5-10K on a wedding is a very small percentage.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately that's the way it is if you want to get married at the venue. Our was £350 but that was a Friday. Saturday and Sunday were more expensive.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Hi, ours was about £450 for them to come to the venue too. Again, pricy because we asked for a Sunday too. If you're booking it now for next year, you should be able to book at this year's prices, they go up each year. So might be worth bearing in mind.

Alternatively, you could get married at the registry office, and then have a celebrant come to the venue? Might be worth investigating.

If you're going to do it at the registry office and then trasport people to the venue, you'd have to take that cost into account. It could work out cheaper just to get the registrar out to the venue. I guess when you break down the cost of it, you're paying for the time of 2 people to come out, on a weekend (usually), they will be there for the interview beforehand, and then do the ceremony, they bring everything with them. Plus it's all the paperwork they process for you beforehand - checking your music, readings, etc.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I get bemused at these posts too, sorry not personal. What you have to remember is that you are paying for two people to travel to your venue for a fair amount of time and they will be there just for you. In the registry office they have no travel or insurance costs and can perform a lot more marriages or undertake other registrar duties which they can't when they're at your venue. Think of it like paying for the sole use of a venue. I don't know why people balk at the ceremony costs be it church or registrar either. It is the main part of the event, unless you go for the bare legal minimum and then have an alternative ceremony of course. X

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Ours is £370 for a Friday. Which is fine...but we are a bit annoyed as we are getting married in the local Guildhall, which incorporates the registry office. But because we are getting married in the Council Chamber upstairs in the same building, they are charging us the 'call out' rate. I can understand the fees covering having to travel, but upstairs? Really?! Something to do with ownership of the building. I know the obvious answer would have been to use the registry office room but it is very dated, and the chambers are perfect for us.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

The £49 office fee is just for a registration: there's no ceremony aspect to that and it only takes 10 mins with a max of 2 witnesses. A very different thing to a ceremeny, even in the registry ceremony room itself. Don't forget that you still need to give notice, so that's another £70 odd pounds on top.

The ceremony registrars are trained: I haven't seen one who wasn't really good. Worth the money in my cabbage.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, as others have said, the price is the price, and this is the part that matters. Ours is around £300 for the local registry office, this prices changes on the time if it was before 11am it was cheaper and the day, ours is a Saturday. I'm sure there are cheaper options but this is the only cost we would have paid without hesitation regardless of the price.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a reasonable price to pay tbh. Our church ceremony was £850.

Its the most important part of the day in my cabbage, the rest of a wedding day is just fluff (ok, so it's fluff we want and like, but it's the ceremony that makes you married)

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Duplicated below.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

But you aren't paying the registrars you are paying the local authority. Also the distances they cover can be over 150 miles going to and from ceremonies. They may only be in your venue for an hour but they have to get there first and may be more than half a mile away if they had another ceremony elsewhere before yours. It seems many people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of imagining how well off registrars must be but you are quite wrong.

2 of our staff had to sleep in their car overnight after getting stranded in the floods because they were determined to get to a couples wedding knowing they probably wouldn't be able to get home. They got to the ceremony when half the couple's guests didn't bother - I also wonder if the plumbers would have put themselves out.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a sat and the cost is £450 plus £70 between us to give notice. God knows what the cost would of been if we chose robber arrived at a wedding venue apart from the registry office!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Actually, to the local authority, the cost of providing the service will change depending upon travel times etc. The further the registrars have to travel, the fewer ceremonies they can undertake in one day so the smaller the revenue stream to the local authority. Also, the local authority will have to pay the registrars' travel costs, which will increase according to distance travelled. So, although it may be a relatively small difference, it's wrong to say that the price to the local authority doesn't depend upon additional factors such as travel times.

I have to say, I'm amazed that some women will happily fork out hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds for a dress that they're going to wear once, or flowers to decorate the room, or a pair of expensive shoes, or the perfect venue, but get annoyed at paying a fraction of that for the bit that actually makes you legally married.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

We could get married at our local registry office (a mezzanine floor in the town centre library - YUK!) or we could pay the same as you to have a Registrar marry us at our amazing venue.

For us it's more about having the day we want and budgeting for the associated cost.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics