Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2025 Northamptonshire

Ceremony only?

Pinkbowbride, 25 of August of 2023 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 0 1
Hi everyone! I am new here and only newly engaged too.

Before getting engaged my fiancée and I were set on eloping. Neither of us want a big wedding, and both sides of our families are quite messy (recent divorces with a lot of drama, a lot of family falling outs, not close families etc). However, now that we’re engaged I can’t help but feel slightly guilty about eloping. I know it will cause more drama in the family, and whilst I know that it’s ultimately our day and our choice.. I’m starting to question whether eloping is right or not (although my OH still wants to).

The other piece which has me second guessing elopement is that I’d love to get married in a church. But, I would feel too guilty to have just OH, me and two witnesses in a big church when our closest family could’ve attended!
So, I’ve been thinking about an option which may work (providing it isn’t rude - which I’d love your opinion on!) That idea is getting married in a church where we would invite all of our CLOSEST family (so we’re still talking a small ceremony, maybe 10/15 guests if they all come) but explain to our family that we will not be having a reception. We would marry, have photographs outside and then OH and I would leave for a romantic weekend away together.
Considering the alternative is not inviting anyone.. would this be OK?
All guests would be local apart from my Dad who I do not have a close relationship with at all, and I question if he would attend anyway (reception or no reception).
Please share your thoughts. I know it isn’t the norm but it’s the only solution I can think of.

1 replies

Latest activity by Ivana, 17 of December of 2023 at 18:42
  • I
    Dedicated August 2024 East London
    Ivana ·
    • Hide content

Hi darling,

I love that idea!!!!! Do not feel guilty, think of it this way. Do you want to have drama on your wedding day and potentially ruin the day or do you want to save that for after. If you feel like having your family might cause drama on your big day avoid that, you will regret having them there if anything happened. However, if you really do want them all to be there so they can celebrate with you, let them know politely in advance that they will need to put all the drama aside for that one day/ceremony. Also if you do not want to have reception after that is totally fine too (we almost did not want to have reception too, especially when thinking about inviting a lot of people and the costs of it all)
    Do what feels right for you and your fiancé, discuss together and make that decision together. End of the day it is about you and your new beginning.

Happy planning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics