Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Ceremony only church-like venue Glasgow

5 of September of 2016 at 13:53 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi there

Me and my partner have a reception venue we really like but need a ceremony venue now before we book it.

We both like the idea if a church or other quite traditional venue. I showed my partner the

Mackintosh Church but he isn't keen on it. Neither of us are religious so we are looking at celebrants,

Humanists etc.

Been in touch with St Andrews in the Square, Barony Hall, trade halls, Oran mor, cottiers, but they only do the whole package (reception included). The registry offices have the usual airport lounge carpets and look a bit fuddy duddy.

Would anyone know of anywhere where there is a church where we don't have to have a religious ceremony or somewhere else that's impressive? Our reception venue is very simple so a nice ceremony venue would be good.

Many thanks in advance.

2 replies

Latest activity by DreamsComeTrue2015, 7 of September of 2016 at 09:36
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

You won't get a non-religious ceremony in a church - that's sort of the point of churches!

Civil ceremonies do largely tend to take place all in one venue or be a registry office followed by reception in a different venue. The money in weddings is all in the reception (food, venue hire, bar takings etc), so very few places are geared up just for the ceremony. Some historical buildings just do the ceremony. I think some theatres might just do the ceremony as well, if you have anywhere like that nearby?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree I don't think you will find any church that will allow you to have a non religious ceremony! If you don't want a registry office you could try hotels, museums, aquariums, maybe approach the national trust who may have buildings, outdoor spaces or ruins. Is there no chance you can hold your wedding at your reception venue? In some instances you could need to go to the registry office with or without guests to make your marriage legal but you can also do this without your guests and have your non legal wedding as your ceremony.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Is there a reason the reception venue doesn't work for the day? I can't think of anywhere - in Glasgow - that would do reception only.

If you want to move city the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh might do ceremony only?

Oh wait - what about the science centre? They do corporate events so they might let you come in with a celebrant depening on the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics