Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2017

Ceremony Only Venue, Buckinghamshire

RomanticPurpleCakes495, 7 of February of 2016 at 17:20 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi

Can anyone suggest a ceremony only venue in the Buckinghamshire area? I'm thinking of a marquee or village hall venue so we can do it ourselves as we've both been married before. Not sure we want a church wedding and the local registry office isn't very nice and the other two offices are quite a distance away. I'd like a nice hotel or similar. I know Greenlands Henley do ceremony only but for £2000 which I'm not prepared to pay.

Any ideas or does anyone have any experience of this? All suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm driving myself nuts searching on the web!

Thanks.

2 replies

Latest activity by TrixieSaurus, 10 of February of 2016 at 09:53
  • TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Hi RPC

What part of Bucks are you looking at?

Have you tried the Olney Centre? It's like a village hall type place, really nice and lots of space. We're having our ceremony there Smiley smile not sure the exact cost (OH sorted this one out), i think its £350-400 to hire for the whole day. On top of that you obviously have to pay the registrar which is about £500ish... but that will be the same wherever you get married unless it's at the registry office, in which case it's cheaper.

For us it was the only venue big enough for our guest list that was in travelling distance of our reception venue.

If you have a look on the MK council website, they have a list of all the venues that are registered to hold ceremonies Smiley smile

http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/births-marriages-and-deaths/marriages-and-ceremonies/where-can-i-get-married-in-mk

Each council should have something similar...

Hope this helps Smiley smile

EDIT: Just realised Henley is the complete opposite side of Bucks to where we are, but council websites should still have a list of places registered for ceremonies Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner July 2017
    RomanticPurpleCakes495 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Thanks for your reply. I live in Aylesbury but there really isn't anything here nice hotel wise and the registry office is awful or should I say the tower block is plus I used to work there so it's a definite no no! I've looked at The Olney Centre after your suggestion and that looks interesting, very pretty and definitely the type of thing I'd consider. For me, I'm not too bothered which part of Bucks it is, I'm not from here so no ties to Aylesbury and most of my family and friends will be travelling from other parts of the country and as such I'd like it to be somewhere attractive, that we can do ourselves for the most part, with accommodation near by. I've looked at South Bucks because we've done a lot of walking down there and I love some of the villages but it tends to be pricey. Where are you having your reception? xx

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

We were kind of the same - didn't fancy a church wedding as neither of us are religious and it just didn't feel right... Our local registry office isn't all that either (plus only had max 70 capacity). And I definitely wouldn't want to get married anywhere I worked either! We looked at places around here for ceremony and reception and one was a local school - lovely building, but was the boys school to the girls school I went to... so NOPE!

We're having our reception at Woburn Safari Lodge Smiley smile we fell in love with the place when we visited and it's very us. It's about 20 min drive away from Olney, but the Olney Centre was the only place 'locally' with a capacity over 70 (we've got 80-90 guests) that we could hire just for the ceremony, that didn't charge a fortune and want us married and out by 12!

I hope you find something Smiley smile Might be worth looking into Central Beds too (that's where Woburn falls into) if you're not worried about sticking to south Bucks. Depending on how many guests you need to cater for there's some lovely places for ceremonies and receptions.

http://www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/registrations-service/List-of-alternative-venues.aspx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics