Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Ceremony only venue in London?

speedybride, 20 of February of 2013 at 22:03 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello! ?

I have just joined the forum although I have been sneaking some useful advice from here for the past few days!

We got engaged last week...and hoping to get married in September this year. Lots to think about so I have my first question already...

We know a venue in London which we love, but it is not licensed for the wedding ceremony. We aren't religious so can't go down the church route, and the nearest registry office -Marylebone - is closed for 2 years for a refurb! I would like the ceremony to be a big part of the day and would like all the guests to be there, but I am really struggling to find a venue that will do just the ceremony for us, in central London. All the ones I have found offer receptions too and would want us to do the ceremony and reception with them.

Any ideas on this one would be greatly appreciated...I am all Googled out!

6 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownCars868, 26 of August of 2017 at 08:01
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Could you go to the next nearest registry office?

Welcome to Hitched fellow Londoner!

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered doing a registry office and then if you want a better ceremony, perhaps you could have a humanist ceremony at the venue you love.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Hi speedy, I have shot many weddings there and was very surprised when they announced a total closure for two years of their 4 rooms. I am sure though that they have alternatives....best to speak to the office and ask what is available during this period. They will as always, be very helpful....

hth

Peter

• M
    Beginner October 2013
    Melliejb ·
    • Hide content

What about Camden registry office? We emailed them last night about our legal ceremony. It's fairly central I believe, very close to regents park. Smiley smile

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

What about the next nearest register office, with a red bus to take your guests between venues?

• S
    Beginner
    speedybride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies and ideas, these are really helpful.

I have contacted Westminster Council, and there will be an alternative venue whilst the Marylebone registry office is out of action...but they won't be able to announce what the venue will be until July!

I will have a look at the other registry offices but it is less practical to get everyone there and then across London to the reception. Not many of our guests live in London (and neither do we!) I liked the idea of the guests being able to walk to the reception venue from the ceremony, but the red bus idea is a fun one!

Also, love the idea of a humanist ceremony. I did not know such a thing existed! I guess this is how people get married in their back garden etc? I am going to look into that idea.

• S
    Beginner July 2018
    SunnyBrownCars868 ·
    • Hide content

Just picking up on this.... what did you do in the end?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics